watching Apple TV on my non-Apple computer, how do I turn on subtitles?

My hearing isn't too good, so when I'm watching "Invasion" I like to see on the screen what is being said. Is that closed captioning or subtitles? and how do I turn it on permanently?

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 8:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2023 3:45 AM

Is that closed captioning or subtitles?

Closed captioning is in the same menu as subtitles. Closed captioning will have ‘CC’ after the language name there. Subtitles will just transcribe spoken dialog, while closed captioning will additionally also mention other sounds and sometimes music.

• For the web access through tv.apple.com, while content is playing or paused, find the Subtitles menu in the lower-right corner of the player window, when the mouse pointer is hovering over that window. Click that icon for a pop-up listing of options.

and how do I turn it on permanently?

The web access through tv.apple.com will remember (by cookies) the last used setting for subtitles/closed captioning.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2023 3:45 AM in response to dcarr4388

Is that closed captioning or subtitles?

Closed captioning is in the same menu as subtitles. Closed captioning will have ‘CC’ after the language name there. Subtitles will just transcribe spoken dialog, while closed captioning will additionally also mention other sounds and sometimes music.

• For the web access through tv.apple.com, while content is playing or paused, find the Subtitles menu in the lower-right corner of the player window, when the mouse pointer is hovering over that window. Click that icon for a pop-up listing of options.

and how do I turn it on permanently?

The web access through tv.apple.com will remember (by cookies) the last used setting for subtitles/closed captioning.

watching Apple TV on my non-Apple computer, how do I turn on subtitles?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.