2015 iMac and 2022 MacMini

I have a Late 2015 27” 5K Retina Display iMac that provides high quality display output. Alas, it does not support the new operating system. If I buy a new MacMini, can I continue to use the iMac for video display with a USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 display cable? Audio output? IMac 1TByte HD for storage? TIA.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 9:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 11:57 AM

yes, jeffreyMJacques, den.thed is quite correct....Target Display mode is not used anymore, and no current (within a year or 3) Macs support it at alll, so there is no official support...about the only thing that might possibly work is "Duet Display/Luna Display" which is something you have to pay for, eg it's not free.... the price is either $4 or $5 a month, and no, you cannot buy it outright, eg, pay a one time fee, once, done, and it's yours for life...no, it's $4 or $5 a month for ever.... is it worth it??? I don't know....to you, maybe... just so that you can still keep using your 5k iMac with Retina Display for as long as possible.... vs the cost of just buying an aftermarket external display....if you want 4k, you could get a 4k tv with HDMI and use that as your display....i'm not saying it would be super great, but it would work...and it'd be affordable... LG would be delighted to sell you a nice 4k monitor for $300 plus tax, not 5k and Retina, but 4k, and they offer free shipping...for a 5k model, you'd be looking at $1,300 plus tax...5k displays carry a big premium no matter which maker you choose, as they are in high demand now.....so if people want 5k displays badly enough, then they are willing to pay extra to have one....it's sad, and a bit of a wasted opportunity, and yes, maybe unnecessary additional expense, but there it is...you might be able to get a slightly better deal by buying a refurbished monitor vs buying one new... here's a link to an Apple studio Display (5k , 27" for 1049 USB-starting price)https://www.macofalltrades.com/apple-studio-display-27-inch-mk0u3ll-a/...free shipping free 1 year warranty.....you might be able to find something good locally, eg, Kijiji, Facebook Marketplace, even eBay (long shot on that one)

John B

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2023 11:57 AM in response to jeffreyMJacques

yes, jeffreyMJacques, den.thed is quite correct....Target Display mode is not used anymore, and no current (within a year or 3) Macs support it at alll, so there is no official support...about the only thing that might possibly work is "Duet Display/Luna Display" which is something you have to pay for, eg it's not free.... the price is either $4 or $5 a month, and no, you cannot buy it outright, eg, pay a one time fee, once, done, and it's yours for life...no, it's $4 or $5 a month for ever.... is it worth it??? I don't know....to you, maybe... just so that you can still keep using your 5k iMac with Retina Display for as long as possible.... vs the cost of just buying an aftermarket external display....if you want 4k, you could get a 4k tv with HDMI and use that as your display....i'm not saying it would be super great, but it would work...and it'd be affordable... LG would be delighted to sell you a nice 4k monitor for $300 plus tax, not 5k and Retina, but 4k, and they offer free shipping...for a 5k model, you'd be looking at $1,300 plus tax...5k displays carry a big premium no matter which maker you choose, as they are in high demand now.....so if people want 5k displays badly enough, then they are willing to pay extra to have one....it's sad, and a bit of a wasted opportunity, and yes, maybe unnecessary additional expense, but there it is...you might be able to get a slightly better deal by buying a refurbished monitor vs buying one new... here's a link to an Apple studio Display (5k , 27" for 1049 USB-starting price)https://www.macofalltrades.com/apple-studio-display-27-inch-mk0u3ll-a/...free shipping free 1 year warranty.....you might be able to find something good locally, eg, Kijiji, Facebook Marketplace, even eBay (long shot on that one)

John B

Sep 15, 2023 10:31 AM in response to jeffreyMJacques

No for two reasons.

1) A 27" Retina does not support being used as a Display.

2) A 2022 Mac mini does not support using any iMac as a Display.

Carefully read > Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

If you decide to get a new Mac mini, then you will also need an aftermarket external display.

see > Connect a display to Mac mini - Apple Support

2015 iMac and 2022 MacMini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.