Scheduled Maintenance on July 16th

The Apple Support Community ‘Search’ functionality will temporarily be unavailable July 16th, 1:00am – 3:00am PDT. Thank you for your patience as we work behind the scenes to improve the community.

Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Steps after Scammer accesses Iphone with Anydesk

Hi,

My microsoft email was hacked and my instagram hijacked. Googled for "instagram customer support" and instead got a scammer. Being just hacked and losing my mind I actually followed instructions and installed Anydesk on my iPhone allowed scammer to see my instagram login and then he asked me to go to settings and make changes. At that point I finally realized I had CALLED a scammer to get help with a hack!

He was on my phone watching me for about 2 minutes. When I realized what was happening I cut off the session, hung up and uninstalled Anydesk. I have since changed passwords to icloud to be safe. I wanted to restore to a backup prior to day i gave access to the scammer but iCloud only had a 1 day backup and this happened 3 days ago.

Should I feel safe knowing that he only saw information on my screen or should I be concerned he could have retrieved credentials/passwords while we where connected? I restored the 1 day old backup but wondering if i should factory restore also. It would be a pain because there is no way i can see to selectively restore contacts and messages its only all or nothing and the backup is no old enough. What should I do? I am tied up in knots. Thanks.

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 16, 2023 7:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2023 7:57 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I am not sure it applies to me however? My Apple account was not hacked. The scammer was a different person I called by mistake and gave them access to my IPhone using the remote access app "Anydesk" Anydesk was downloaded from the Apple App store. When installed I gave the scammer access to my phone, but I did not type in any apple credentials. I disconnected when he asked that I enter settings.

I have changed all my passwords (as mentioned in your helpful suggestion #2 above)

My question centers around whether or not i need to factory restore my iPhone, or, if I can use a backup that was created AFTER the access was given. My concern is whether or not something from the icloud backup could re-infect my phone after a restore.

Thanks again for your patience!

Joe

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2023 7:57 PM in response to TheLittles

Thanks for the quick reply. I am not sure it applies to me however? My Apple account was not hacked. The scammer was a different person I called by mistake and gave them access to my IPhone using the remote access app "Anydesk" Anydesk was downloaded from the Apple App store. When installed I gave the scammer access to my phone, but I did not type in any apple credentials. I disconnected when he asked that I enter settings.

I have changed all my passwords (as mentioned in your helpful suggestion #2 above)

My question centers around whether or not i need to factory restore my iPhone, or, if I can use a backup that was created AFTER the access was given. My concern is whether or not something from the icloud backup could re-infect my phone after a restore.

Thanks again for your patience!

Joe

Oct 26, 2023 11:26 AM in response to L_Res

L_Res Said:

[…]I now know this was stupid (I was frustrated at the time of the call with meta and that’s why I was desperately looking for a phone number to call) but now what do I do?

———-

Where to go from here:

Read everything I mentioned above, from reporting this all the way down to performing a factory reset.

Have a PC? If so, McAfee is a brand of software that makes Live Safe. That software has Identity Theft protection. When you register you license with McAfee, you provide you personal info. So, McAfee allows you to permit it to take your profile info off of Broker Sites. If you enter your phone number in Google, then you might just pop up as a result. But, keep Security Software off of your Mac. It just gets in the way on a Mac, and in these forums, you’ll find plenty examples of how and why.

Sep 16, 2023 7:39 PM in response to JoedJet

"Steps after Scammer accesses Iphone with Anydesk: [...]Should I feel safe knowing that he only saw information on my screen or should I be concerned he could have retrieved credentials/passwords while we where connected?[...]"

-------

Being Concerned After a Scam Attempt:

Report this:

Yes. You should absolutely be concerned. This person know of you credentials. So, modify them immediately.. If in the US, you can report this to Apple, the FBI, and others. Use my User: Using the Photos App to Report Scams - User Tip

Troubleshooting a Hacked Account:

I. Getting In to your Apple Account:

You need to get into your Apple Account. So, contact Apple Support. If you have a hacked iCloud account, then ask the Apple Rep if they can help you add Two-Factor Authentication. Ask them to assist you with changing your password to what it should be. Important: Perform a trial-&-error login session, prior to ending the call.

Apple Contact Info:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there, as necessary
  • Why the Wait: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

II. Secure your Info:

If concerned for device access, then (A)verify your devices, and (B)secure your account. Open a new eMail addressee d use that for your Apple ID.

1. Verify your Devices:

Verify that all devices are logged in to your account, by using this link: Check your Apple ID Device List to See where you're Signed in - Apple Support

then...

2. Modify your Credentials:

Having been stollen, someone lily has your credentials. So, by all means, modifying them.

III. Report Items to Apple:

So, report phone call's and messages info to Apple and modify. Use my User: Using the Photos App to Report Scams - User Tip

Sep 16, 2023 8:25 PM in response to TheLittles

Thanks. I think I will reset from the recent backup even though its after the scammer had access to the phone. Sounds like the scammer could not inject anything that could monitor my password changes I made AFTER I removed the remote desktop app which gives me some level of comfort. My phone was never jailbroken and I did not type in any sensitive passwords while the session was shortly connected to the scammer.

Thanks again.

Oct 26, 2023 6:20 AM in response to TheLittles

I called a fake Facebook ads phone number by accident, was connected to someone claiming to be facebook security who had me open any desk on my MacBook from there he had me go into settings to make changes then show him my facebook ad account. I now know this was stupid (I was frustrated at the time of the call with meta and that’s why I was desperately looking for a phone number to call) but now what do I do?

Sep 16, 2023 7:59 PM in response to JoedJet

JoedJet Said:

"Steps after Scammer accesses Iphone with Anydesk: My question centers around whether or not i need to factory restore my iPhone, or, if I can use a backup that was created AFTER the access was given. My concern is whether or not something from the icloud backup could re-infect my phone after a restore."

-------

Concernes for a Hacked iPhone

Well, the only way for an iPhone to be hacked is if it has been jailbroken. And the only way to know if it has been jail broken is if you are aware of this being the case. So, you is the seller? If purchased from Apple. then no worries there; your iPhone is safe.

So, what to do about your iPhone...

Restore your iPhone or Reset it:

If you are so concerned, then restore from a backup or reset your iPhone to factory settings. Important: Back Up First: Be sure create a back up your iPhone prior to performing an update, that way you have something to restore your iPhone from, should anything go wrong afterwards.

A. Restore from a Backup:

Did your ever back up your iPhone with these installed? If so, back up you could back up your iPhone, and then restore it from the backup.

or...

B. Resetting to Factory Settings:

Go here: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Sep 16, 2023 8:28 PM in response to JoedJet

JoedJet Said:

"Thanks. I think I will reset from the recent backup even though its after the scammer had access to the phone"

-------

You are welcome.

Sounds like a plan!

Reset to Factory Settings:

Perform as instructed here, including the iCloud logout:

Go here: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Excellent job troubleshooting!

Steps after Scammer accesses Iphone with Anydesk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.