Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Change Apple Trade-in Kit trade-in method

I pre-ordered my iPhone 15 Pro Max yesterday and it said it could only be shipped. So, I chose shipping and it’s expected to be delivered between October 16-23. I also choose to do a trade-in with the trade-in kit. However, based on things I’ve heard, I don’t necessarily like the idea of shipping my current iPhone due to the risk of workers stealing my iPhone.

I’m wondering if it’s possible to bring the trade-in kit to an Apple Store instead. Is that possible? If so, how should I let them know?

Posted on Sep 16, 2023 9:01 PM

15 replies

Oct 2, 2023 7:08 AM in response to Apple_Fanboy_1

I will be doing this in the future (only trading in Apple devices in store). Had a somewhat stressful experience this year trading in an iPhone by mail: sent my iPhone 13 Pro Max which was in pristine condition in a trade-in kit via FedEx after upgrading to iPhone 15 Pro Max, received an email from Apple saying that they received an empty box!!!

Apple asked me to confirm what device I put into the trade-in kit and how I sealed the box. After getting this info from me, they opened an investigation, and resolved the case in my favor (I got the $$ that my trade-in was initially evaluated at).

But that left me with a very bad taste in my mouth, I feel like I cannot trust FedEx to handle Apple trade-ins.

I called Apple to discuss this, and the customer service representative told me that it's totally OK to go to the store and do the trade-in there, even though when you buy a new phone, the only option shown on the web page is "trade-in by mail". She said you just go to the store and they cancel the trade-in by mail and take your old phone or any other device you are trading in.

Sep 17, 2023 7:29 AM in response to Apple_Fanboy_1

sorry, it says you need to contact apple support for further assistance due to if you are going to the order summary you may not cancel the trade in, so what you would need to do is call apple support or message them through the apple store app by clicking my order clicking on the order you’re having issues with and scrolling down until you see a prompt that says “need more help? contact us via message or phone”. Apologies for my grammar.

Acrillet.

Sep 17, 2023 7:39 AM in response to Apple_Fanboy_1

Apple_Fanboy_1 wrote:

I pre-ordered my iPhone 15 Pro Max yesterday and it said it could only be shipped. So, I chose shipping and it’s expected to be delivered between October 16-23. I also choose to do a trade-in with the trade-in kit. However, based on things I’ve heard, I don’t necessarily like the idea of shipping my current iPhone due to the risk of workers stealing my iPhone.

I’m wondering if it’s possible to bring the trade-in kit to an Apple Store instead. Is that possible? If so, how should I let them know?

Yes, you can just not use the trade-in kit when it arrives and trade the phone directly at your Apple Store. I do this EVERY YEAR, personally. You will still be bound to the 14 days from receipt of your new iPhone to trade in your old iPhone. But be assured you can absolutely do the trade at an official Apple Store.

Oct 4, 2023 4:42 AM in response to maydaymarina

When you go to the Apple Store to trade in your device will you get a credit for the trade in amount to your original form of payment or will you get an Apple Gift card for the amount? I called Apple support and they told me that you will only get a gift card for the amount if you order online for home delivery and then want to trade in your device in an Apple Store instead of via mail, as they said "these will be two separate transactions". Does anyone have experience with this?

Oct 4, 2023 4:52 AM in response to Mustang8891

Mustang8891 wrote:

When you go to the Apple Store to trade in your device will you get a credit for the trade in amount to your original form of payment or will you get an Apple Gift card for the amount? I called Apple support and they told me that you will only get a gift card for the amount if you order online for home delivery and then want to trade in your device in an Apple Store instead of via mail, as they said "these will be two separate transactions". Does anyone have experience with this?

I have several years of experience with this. I order the phone for home delivery and specify a trade in. The new phone arrives and set it up and prepare the old phone for trade in. I get the trade in kit from Apple, but I take my old phone to my Apple Store for trade in instead. And Apple issues the trade in value against however you paid for the phone originally. In my case, since I buy the new phones with my Apple Card, the trade in value goes back to the Apple Card, which offsets the price I pad for the new phone.

Oct 5, 2023 8:25 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Thanks for sharing your experience. I called Apple again today (both customer support and my local Apple Store, and both confirmed what I was originally told: If I take my trade in to a store, I will be given a gift card only and not a credit to my original form of payment. There are too many reports of trade in iPhones being stolen in transit with trade in kits arriving at Apple for evaluation "empty". Not willing to take that chance and not interested in having a gift card for my trade in value. I will just have to wait until I can purchase the iPhone I want in store.

Oct 5, 2023 8:30 AM in response to Mustang8891

I don't know why you are being told this. I just traded my 14 Pro Max and 14 Pro at the Apple Store after receiving our new 15 Pro and 15 Pro Max and I did NOT get a gift card. I got a credit for the trades against the original payment method the 14 Pros were originally purchased with, which happens to be my Apple Card. I bought both new phones with Apple Card and received the trade value back to my Apple Card which I used last year. And this is how it has worked for me, the last 3 years in a row.

Change Apple Trade-in Kit trade-in method

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.