Transferring location from photos to maps

In Apple Photos I can check then location of a photo. I can then copy the text of the location and then open Apple Maps and paste the location so I can navigate to it. It works but it's messy. Is there a way in Apple Photos to automatically send a photo location to maps ready to navigate? Both programs are using the same maps so it seems an obvious feature but cannot find any way to do it.

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 18, 2023 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 7:48 AM

BigginAndy wrote: Is there a way in Apple Photos to automatically send a photo location to maps ready to navigate?

I don't think so. For one thing, the text location is at best approximate-- it just looks up a a prominent site close to the latitude and longitude-- it doesn't indicate the actual latitude and longitude. So copying and pasting works sometimes.

But it's a great idea! I imagine a link at the bottom that says "Go to Location in Maps" or something. I think you should suggest this to Apple:

Feedback - Photos - Apple

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2023 7:48 AM in response to BigginAndy

BigginAndy wrote: Is there a way in Apple Photos to automatically send a photo location to maps ready to navigate?

I don't think so. For one thing, the text location is at best approximate-- it just looks up a a prominent site close to the latitude and longitude-- it doesn't indicate the actual latitude and longitude. So copying and pasting works sometimes.

But it's a great idea! I imagine a link at the bottom that says "Go to Location in Maps" or something. I think you should suggest this to Apple:

Feedback - Photos - Apple

Apr 12, 2024 3:49 AM in response to BigginAndy

What I am doing is, is to view the photo enlarged on my iPhone.

Then I swipe up to see the details. There is a tiny map with the location name in blue below it.

When I tap the blue link below the location map, this will open the precise location in maps and show the location in maps, marked. You can then tap this mark to drop a pin to see the coordinates or use the (...) menu to save this place to a guide or as a favourite.

Sep 19, 2023 11:13 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

I have contacted Apple re this idea but your note that the location is at best approximate is not correct. I have checked with photos I have taken all over Europe picking those taken in locations which have nothing significant in the area. This has included dirt roads in Iceland, mountain roads in Bosnia and country areas in UK. All places where I know exactly where the photo was taken and the location within metres is correct every time.

Sep 19, 2023 11:45 AM in response to BigginAndy

Well, that's fascinating! I just tried some pictures taken around Dallas-- the location text says ‎⁨"Dallas⁩, ⁨Texas⁩, ⁨United States⁩" and when I paste that into Maps I get choices of city hall and Lake Dallas and so on-- Not the places where the pictures were taken. The map in Photos shows the right spot, and I know that the longitude and latitude are correct in the metadata in the exported pictures.

I wonder what's different...

Sep 19, 2023 11:59 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

I have tested by taking in picture outside the front of my house and a second in the rear garden. It's just a small house but the map shows them both in the correct place. The nearest place to my home which is featured in Maps is a new small hotel about 1/2 mile away.

As a final check I went to maps to check my location is shown correctly and it is to a yard and then took a photograph without moving. Both Maps and Photos show the exact same place for my location and the photo. My conclusion is that the phone uses the same coordinates for both maps and the camera plus the compass and What Three Words apps. It is not really surprising that as the phone generates position data all apps requiring a position are using the same same data.

Transferring location from photos to maps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.