iOS 17 stand-by clock only CUP?

in iOS 17 stand-by mode I can only see the CUP (Cupertino) time. Not my local time. How can I change that?

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 18, 2023 10:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2023 7:25 PM

Hold your finger on it until it offers you the option to delete, tap on the clock dead center, DO NOT the minus symbol at the top right corner, it will flip around and give you the option to change the city. No need to delete the widget.

28 replies

Sep 29, 2023 3:34 PM in response to DonutOverlord

The below is as of iOS 17.0.2.

To get rid of the "CUP" clock, I did as suggested. Deleted it, then added again by choosing a new clock face after clicking "Clock" in the suggestions. For the World Clock, it was a bit annoying because the UI is really touchy. I tried a couple of multiple efforts (that would be six). What was frustrating is that in the midst of changing all four world clocks, the UI would drop out of edit mode and revert to CUP, TOK, SYD, PAR. What finally worked for me is editing each time zone one at a time instead of trying to do all four at one. Replace CUP first, then touch away from the edit box and it will save. Then go in again to change the second time zone. Once changed, touch away from the edit box and you will see both edits saved. Repeat until all four time zones are what you want. Yeah... a bit buggy. TBH, I broke my own rule with iOS 17. Usually, I never upgrade until the *.1 release. Serves me right.

Oct 11, 2023 7:15 AM in response to MarkMuh

MarkMuh wrote:

Imagine rolling out “an exciting new feature” that can’t seem to read the current time zone my iPhone is set to. What a complete joke.

The joke is, apparently, that people don't understand that the City clock widgets are supposed to show the time for a different city than where you are. You can change them to any city you want. If you don't want to know the time in another city, use a different widget that is not designed to do that. Select one of the ones named "Clock" instead.

Oct 1, 2023 6:27 AM in response to Gerard Van Wieringen

Thank you very much. IT WORKS!!!!! It was kindda confusing to find how to edit the screen saver, but it was the silver bullet. Erased and added back!!! Listo. Really, I don't understand why Apple do so many crocked, things, like last year to synchronize my telephone in my own computer for a backup, it prompts the password-PIN even though is a "trusted device". I only kind think that the reason for that is to obligate us to do only icloud backups that cost more money due to required storage space. Apple is not so customer focused after all.....

Oct 26, 2023 9:12 AM in response to Gerard Van Wieringen

There are multiple clock widgets. When you go to the widget list and select "Clock," you'll see "Clock I," "Clock II," "Clock III," and then "City I," "City II," "City III," and others. Apple, in their Infinite Loop wisdom, decided to make "City I" the default, set to Cupertino, instead of doing the intelligent thing and making "Clock I" the default, so it would automatically show the same time as the device itself, and would automatically change along with the device time when traveling etc.

So, you didn't reinstall the same clock widget, you installed the one that SHOULD have been the default in the first place, but wasn't.

Thank you to IdrisSeabright for trying to explain this.

Feb 17, 2024 5:20 PM in response to MarkMuh

Have to agree so much for user friendly. Actually causes confusion unless happen to be on Pacific Time. Cupertino says it all. Seems narcissistic. Plus why all the contortions to change. I did search in Settings for clock. Nothing relevant. Should be changeable from Settings. Have been a computer programmer 40 years. Among my top 100 stupid useability “features”.

iOS 17 stand-by clock only CUP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.