Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

AirPrint not working after iOS 17 Update

I updated my iphone yesterday. I wanted to print an email I received from Gmail. When I tried to print I received the message "no AirPrint Printers Found"

[Re-titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 4:26 AM

To start with: I'm not intending to say that the cause of this problem is due this or this. I only want the iOS users where I work to be able to print the way they was able before 17 and to know what has caused the problem not how to "make it to away".

I have read the 5 step "turn it off and on again solution" and I have read that it seem to work on some devices in some networks.

When a solution to a problem is to "turn it off and on" the problem is doomed to come back until the actual cause is fixed. This might work in a SOHO environment but not in larger organisations where the device count on both iOS/IpadOS devices and printers it counted in hundreds or thousands.

I wan't to add one thing that I've made in a quest to find what's the cause of this.

We have thousands of client devices and >1000 iPads in the organization where I work and we immediately blocked upgrade to iOS/iPadOS 17 when we understood that AirPrint stopped working after upgrading to 17.x.

I have tried to get iPads back to 16 but so far the only model that I could do it with has been with iPad gen 6.

Result: AirPrint worked like before when they did run on 16. Nothing was done on printers (server handled, not SOHO devices), router (large firewall), DNS'es or any other parts of the network. Just downgraded the devices to 16.

I just did the following on one iPad 6 gen:

Running on 16.7.2: AirPrint printers visible.

Restore from 16.7.2 to 17.1 via DFU - result: No AirPrint printers visible.

Restore from 17.1 to 16.7.2 via DFU - result: AirPrint printers visible.

No other changes in the network environment was made.

How many times shall this be performed back and forth to get statistics if AirPrint works or not until this is seen as something that was introduced / changed (maybe not a real bug) in 17 since the problem isn't in 16.7.2 but in 17.x.?

As I wrote in the beginning I'm not on a quest to whine about this or that. I just wan't my users to be able to use AirPrint as before 17.x

215 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2023 4:26 AM in response to xploraiswakco

To start with: I'm not intending to say that the cause of this problem is due this or this. I only want the iOS users where I work to be able to print the way they was able before 17 and to know what has caused the problem not how to "make it to away".

I have read the 5 step "turn it off and on again solution" and I have read that it seem to work on some devices in some networks.

When a solution to a problem is to "turn it off and on" the problem is doomed to come back until the actual cause is fixed. This might work in a SOHO environment but not in larger organisations where the device count on both iOS/IpadOS devices and printers it counted in hundreds or thousands.

I wan't to add one thing that I've made in a quest to find what's the cause of this.

We have thousands of client devices and >1000 iPads in the organization where I work and we immediately blocked upgrade to iOS/iPadOS 17 when we understood that AirPrint stopped working after upgrading to 17.x.

I have tried to get iPads back to 16 but so far the only model that I could do it with has been with iPad gen 6.

Result: AirPrint worked like before when they did run on 16. Nothing was done on printers (server handled, not SOHO devices), router (large firewall), DNS'es or any other parts of the network. Just downgraded the devices to 16.

I just did the following on one iPad 6 gen:

Running on 16.7.2: AirPrint printers visible.

No other changes in the network environment was made.

How many times shall this be performed back and forth to get statistics if AirPrint works or not until this is seen as something that was introduced / changed (maybe not a real bug) in 17 since the problem isn't in 16.7.2 but in 17.x.?

As I wrote in the beginning I'm not on a quest to whine about this or that. I just wan't my users to be able to use AirPrint as before 17.x

Nov 21, 2023 2:40 AM in response to teitchej

Since updating to iOS 17 I can no longer print reliably from my iPhone. I get timeout errors instead. I've tried all the fixes suggested and they might work once, but next time, they don't work. I print daily from my iPhone and immediately noticed the problem. Even rebooting the phone can get printing working - just once. (Not a real fix - I cannot reboot each time I need to print.)

Inconsistencies cut across apps - one day not able to print from Edge, but can print the same webpage from Safari. Next day cannot print even from Safari.

I've got a networked Samsung Xpress M2825 printer which is supported by Airprint - About AirPrint - Apple Support

This a real shame as one of the great benefits of using all this equipment was the convenience of printing documents from my hand held device - no more sadly. Hopefully an iOS update will come through soon which will fix it.

Nov 9, 2023 9:53 AM in response to JeffreyKayeRocks

I had this exact same problem with my new IPhone 15 Pro Max and IOS 17.1.1. This is what fixed it.

If the Canon MF232W is connected to your WIFi and is functioning with a connection do the following to update to the latest Canon firmware:

1. Press Menu on the printer keyboard
  2. Use arrow down and select System Management Settings and press OK.
  3. Enter your manager pin # if you made one and press OK. I believe of you did not create a System Manager Pin the you can just press OK
  4. Use the arrow down button and get to Update Firmware and press OK.
  5. Now select with down arrow, Via Internet and OK.
  6. If the printer has the latest Firmware it will quickly state that on the display.
  7. If there is an update it will display a little clock and the dials moving. Let this finish out (It could take a few minutes) and the firmware will complete and will automatically restart the printer.
  8. Once the restart is done the printer will work like it has always worked for you with AirPrint once you select the MF230 Printer as your printer and then hit print.

It works now and you don’t need to add the Canon Print App that has been suggested by Apple Support. Both my desktop via USB connection and my laptop with WiFi still print to the MF232W laser printer so this was a quick and easy fix.

Oct 5, 2023 4:53 AM in response to teitchej

I have done all the steps, several times. Reset my WiFi settings in the phone. Factory reset my router and reconfigured. Deleted my vpn profile.

AirPrint currently still not functional on my iPad or iPhone after iOS 17 update.

every device that hasn't upgraded yet prints just fine on the network.

Apple has a problem here to address

my printer is a cannon ML laser printer

Dec 21, 2023 3:55 AM in response to teitchej

I have this same issue with my Canon G7000 series. I have followed all recommended steps including updating printer software, checking and disabling any VPN’s. I can get AirPrint to work only after completely resetting my printer to factory settings and reconnecting to my WiFi network every time I want to print, it works and then a little later or the next day it stops working again. The printer is connected to WiFi and worked before 17.1 without issue but not since then, update 17.2 did not resolve the issue. I have during this same time been able to connect to a Brother Printer but not to my Canon G7000. Perhaps this is an issue between Canon and Apple in terms of compatibility, but we have to suffer until there is a fix available. Reading through this thread I think the bug has been developed by Apple and needs to be corrected, before 17.1 my G7000 worked just fine. APPLE PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE! 

Jan 25, 2024 4:59 AM in response to teitchej

None of these fixes work. Apple needs to fix this, they broke it. Tried helping a neighbor and I was still working spotty, but now I am down. All the money we pay for Apple devices and now we can’t print. This should be a critical patch that needs to be fixed immediately! I will not buy another Apple device if this does not get fixed. Tired of sending everything to my email and then having to go in to my pc to print it.

Sep 19, 2023 6:16 PM in response to teitchej

Do the following, i this order:

• Turn off the printer
  • Turn off your phone
  • Turn off your router for 15 seconds
  • Turn on your router
  • Turn on your phone and wait for it to connect to Wi-Fi
  • Turn on the printer

This should restart the BonJour network that manages printer connectivity.

Note that is probably just one of these that needs to be done, but figuring out which one will take longer than just doing them all.

Both my iPhone and iPad have iOS 17 and they both still print.

Oct 25, 2023 2:48 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote:
...because there is nothing for Apple to fix. ...

Listen-er read, I'm an Apple fan like you obviously are, but this statement alone disqualifies you from being an IT professional, because what worked perfectly fine in 16, now barely works in 17, meaning Apple have changed something, and in so doing, created a bug they need to fix. I am an IT professional and I am confident in that fact. Continually stating the same restart advice is the only fix when it doesn't work for everyone while working on your "perfect" network is providing bad support, and if you were working for me I'd be considering firing you. Just because you can get it to work, does not automatically mean there is no bug.

So, until you can effectively explain why the restarting advice is not needed for iOS/iPadOS 16 & older, and why adding an AirPrint Config. Profile to an iOS/iPadOS 17+ device does not help, please learn how to provide support from your local Apple professional.

Oct 17, 2023 9:20 PM in response to JDK107

I have a Canon MF232w printer that is experiencing the exact same issue. I have tried the workarounds these folks have suggested in threads above; they don't work. I had a Netgear router that was turned off, along with each iPhone (7, 13 and 14 ProMax, respectively) and iPad4, then devices were turned back on. I had ZERO problems printing to this Canon prior to upgrading to iOS 17. Apple needs to fix this! I just installed (last weekend) a new eero router and I have no problem printing from my laptop PC to the printer on this new network and I didn't have to upgrade the drivers. But anything I want to print directly from the old or the new iPhones, I select Printer and the field value displays "No Printer Selected". OK, then I attempt to select a printer by tapping on that. which it then returns the error message "No Air Printers Found". It's maddening!

Oct 25, 2023 6:43 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote:

• Do the following, i this order:
Turn off the printer
• Turn off your phone
• Turn off your router for 15 seconds
• Turn on your router
• Turn on your phone and wait for it to connect to Wi-Fi
• Turn on the printer

This should restart the BonJour network that manages printer connectivity.

Note that is probably just one of these that needs to be done, but figuring out which one will take longer than just doing them all.

Both my iPhone and iPad have iOS 17 and they both still print.

For everyone where these instructions haven't worked, or they are impossible to follow (such as workplace):

1. This is a confirmed bug in iOS/iPadOS 17, Apple have changed something that is breaking the ability to print, and Apple are working on a fix.
  2. If it is possible to try again, please do, two or three times more.
  3. Where it is not possible, or the above does not help, all we can do is wait for Apple to fix the bug.
  4. Until then, use workarounds, i.e. use a computer, or at a workplace, find what other options they have for a workaround, for example, we have a web print service, some printers even provide their own webprint service, so check out what other capabilities the printer might have.

AirPrint not working after iOS 17 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.