Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iOS17 Upgrade - Wallet/Apple Pay broken

I upgraded to iOS17 last night and now when i open the wallet app on my phone it says "Apple Pay requires an update on this iPhone". This morning when i opened the wallet app for the first time i got email alerts from my credit cards saying my cards have been removed from Apple Pay.

Things i have tried:

Re-installing the wallet app

Wiping and restoring

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 3:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2023 9:00 AM

Cannot use wallet after 17.1.1 upgrade

59 replies

Oct 8, 2023 6:53 AM in response to xzert

Rep told me that software doesn’t cause hardware failure, period.

I reminded the rep that recently there was a hardware heating issue because of software. The rep got defensive and said “listen, it was only in iPhone 15”. I laughed at that.

Reps are not going to do anything. Neither is Apple until this becomes more widespread or have media attention.

Oct 6, 2023 7:57 AM in response to cptnclvnn

I just got off the phone with Apple support. They claim that the update doesn't have anything to do with this, but my Apple Pay stopped working exactly when I loaded the 17.0.3 iOS.

They told me I'll have to take it to the Applestore and pay out of my own pocket to repair the problem they created. I'm not surprised that a tech giant is taking advantage of their customers. Hopefully someone with the resources sues them again.

Oct 7, 2023 8:16 AM in response to shaoyuhuang

Update on my issue:

1. Setup a call with support, did a remote diagnostic, asked me to go to store.
  2. At store, performed a full restore, issue persisted, essentially apply pay module is not working. Asked to pay $500. I challenged as to why do I have to pay. They setup another call with Apple.
  3. Next support call, Apple does not acknowledge that is is a software issue. They also said that software issues does not cause hardware failures. In order to fix the issue, I still have to pay. The person also said that they have no issues regarding this opened in their system.

I am just gonna try to call this out on social media platforms to see if they ever will acknowledge this.

Oct 8, 2023 7:18 AM in response to Jeff Donald

I don’t believe it was the overheating issue, mine has never had that, unless it happened while I was asleep or away from my phone I have not had any heat issues, I know that it is a software issue and not a hardware issue (at least caused by software) because it’s happing on multiple generations of phones with the common factor being IOS17… albeit different versions of IOS17, nonetheless, history for me at least is… Apple Pay was working fine, update to 17.0.3, get message saying Apple Pay needs an update, look online Apple has a post saying plug into computer and redownload IOS, double click is still pulling up the wallet but it says unavailable under all cards, restart my phone I get a new all white screen with a loading bar that says something along the lines of “trying to restore data” it loads all the way phone comes back, double click no longer works at all, also can’t pay for in app things that require Apple Pay, thus not an nfc hardware issue but a software one people that have nfc hardware issues it still pulls up the wallet but can’t pay with it… regardless I’ll be taking mine in unless an update rolls out that fixes it…

note I just realized I have another issue… haptics is not working when I type or when I use the new button to change between silent and ring, also when pressing the new button to switch between the two I have to long hold it twice and it’s lagging to change and the settings screen for sound and haptics is glitching out… I’ve never had issues this bad with an iPhone lol it’s 100% software related

Sep 21, 2023 1:21 AM in response to cptnclvnn

I have the same issue. I upgraded to iOS 17 today.

I just tried Apple Pay at multiple stores, all returned the same error 'declined, try another card'.

I then removed my card and attempted to re-add to apple wallet which errored.

I have since tried to contact apple support who said I need to speak with the Apple Pay team who were unavailable at the time. I have asked how to uninstall iOS 17 and they could not help me.

Very keen to have this fixed as I keep my cards in a seperate location and currently have no money to fund food etc.

Oct 6, 2023 5:51 AM in response to cptnclvnn

My cards were NOT in the Apple wallet, but I didn’t receive any notification saying that they were removed

Now I tried to re-add cards and they won’t enter. iOS 17 needs lots of repair. Every time the face identification doesn’t work(which is frequently )and I enter my Lock Screen passcode wrong (even just one time) , it locks me out of my phone for an hour. I don’t get more tries, nothing! Immediately lock out for 1hour.

iOS17 Upgrade - Wallet/Apple Pay broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.