Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

crackled in sound at low volume with AirPods Pro 2 after iOS 17 update

I updated my phone to iOS 17. Since then I have been having problems with my AirPods Pro 2: at (very) low volumes the sound crackles and/or I can no longer hear any sound (which was the case before). On my iPad (ios16) I don't have this problem. I think it's a bug in ios17. Do you recognize this problem? @ Apple: Please provide a solution. For me it's very important to use the AirPods Pro 2 at very low volumes.

I now have to turn the volume up too high for what my ears can handle.

I look forward to the solution

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 5:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 1:56 AM

I’m having the same issue which started the day I updated to iOS 17 with all my AirPod devices. I use my AirPods to fall asleep every night and would say hey siri set volume to 4% which no longer works, goes to no sound. I also get the crackle sound to no sound if I try to manually bring the volume below 6%.

Apple please fix asap!

ps, I also spent 1 hour with apple support trying to fix with no luck.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2023 1:56 AM in response to sz275

I’m having the same issue which started the day I updated to iOS 17 with all my AirPod devices. I use my AirPods to fall asleep every night and would say hey siri set volume to 4% which no longer works, goes to no sound. I also get the crackle sound to no sound if I try to manually bring the volume below 6%.

Apple please fix asap!

ps, I also spent 1 hour with apple support trying to fix with no luck.

Sep 26, 2023 11:34 PM in response to 1brent1

Hi 1brent1,

thanks for sharing. I updated to iOS 17.02 but the issue is still there...

Did apple support say anything about fixing this problem via a software update? Do you experience the same issue on the iPad and/or Mac? I don't want to update yet, because I don't know if we'll run in to the same troubles with the AirPods...

Oct 15, 2023 12:32 AM in response to sz275

Escalated Support only created a case ID on the issue for me (Case ID: 102100948426).

I still have the same issue with all my Apple devices and ios17 and AirPods. Can’t get volume below 6%. I used to be able to say hey siri turn volume to 5%, 4%, etc for sleeping but volume cuts out all the way. Even if I try manually adjusting below 6%.

Apple please fix.

Oct 15, 2023 12:16 PM in response to 1brent1

very annoying ”bug” and it’s a pitty that it’s not resolved yet. I also still have The same problems: can’t lower The volume below That %. For me it’s a must to be able To do That.

The recent updates (ios17.0.3and The AirPods update) did not fix this issue either. It’s a pitty support could not help…

I guess if there were problems in The higher volume range Apple would have worked on a solutution already…

@Apple please please please fix this.

Oct 20, 2023 3:37 AM in response to sz275

@sz275 do not get me wrong. I just wanted to point out that it is still possible to listen to quiet music normally with other headphones under iOS 17 without this error.

I only bought the Sonys as a temporary solution, and this was just my hidden hint, but I still prefer the AirPods Pro and will continue to use them as soon as there is a fix

crackled in sound at low volume with AirPods Pro 2 after iOS 17 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.