markup on ios 17 photos not working

New Markup options in IOS 17 to add a square frame to a portion of a photo seem to have disappeared. At least I can't figure it out. I can select a square but it has a fill and the red slash that is available looks like it will make a framed square but I can't seem to change the color or thickness nor will it save.

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 5:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 5:56 AM

Why does Apple feel the need to 'fix' things that aren't broken?

87 replies

Oct 8, 2023 7:03 AM in response to Kevinwal

I’m having the same exact problem. Before the update, I could select the square ADD SHAPE in markup and a box outline would appear. I could then move that box outline around my desired text and edit color and line thickness. I could also “fill” that outline. Now, the outline box is default filled. I can easily edit the size of the outline, but cannot figure out how to remove the default grey inside the box. I’ve read all of the comments on this thread and have not been able to make a simple box outline around text.

Oct 30, 2023 10:53 PM in response to JTobias

That works. You can make an imperfect oval, too, and when you hold and release your finger, the imperfect oval will turn into a perfect oval.

The instructions again:

Choose photo.

Choose Edit.

Choose Mark Up tool (the pen tip in the circle at the top of the screen).

Pick any of the 3 pens from left on the lower row.

Draw a circle, square or oval (even a slightly squiggly or off centered one) but hold your finger in place when you get to the end/connection point of the circle. 

It will “pop” into a perfect circle, square or oval. 

Sep 21, 2023 2:31 PM in response to Kevinwal

EDIT: when I did it, I changed the color on the bottom left to the color I want the outline to be and then on the color for the bottom right side, I hit the line (/) shown in the color options and it took the color out of the middle of the shape.

I hope that’s the answer to your question.

Same here too… I was able to figure out how to do it but then forgot what I did but I know it wasn’t like using the pre-update one. Also, if the picture I’m trying to edit is dark and I want to circle something, I can’t even see the color I’m selecting. Oh and it also deleted all my custom colors too 😒.

Nov 29, 2023 1:35 PM in response to JennaPhoenix

Chaz27,

I get that it’s useful, I was just thinking this whole forum topic was for the Markup feature in iPhotos. That’s why I was wondering to which level one might need to zoom since you can really get in there with the regular method! 😂🤓🧐 Perhaps Apple decided it was unnecessary for photo album use. 🤷‍♀️

My main concern is the Highlight options now. It seems the only way I’ve found to make something BRIGHT again as it were is to highlight with White and then go over it in a different color to make it stand out. Otherwise, the “highlight” has a grey effect which is actually just a Dimlight now. 🫤

Sep 28, 2023 4:13 AM in response to Kevinwal

I’ve been frustrated by this because I use the markup took a lot & I expect my settings to be saved but I have to reset them every time I take a new screenshot. I found a video online that demonstrates a feature I did not know about — in markup, if you use any drawing tool (marker/pen) & draw a square or circle on the photo and hold at the end of your drawing, the shape will be made perfect (perfect circle/square rather than hand drawn / shaky). I suppose this is why the previous version of markup changed.

[Edited by Moderator]

markup on ios 17 photos not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.