USB super drive not working

Apple superdrive not working on MacBook Air super drive “needs power”. It seems that this is a common problem. Is there a solution?

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Sep 21, 2023 1:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2024 9:49 AM

I’m on my second “quality” connector cable (Apple brand), no hub, and my Superdrive won’t power up all the way.

14 replies

Apr 28, 2024 10:25 AM in response to Vincentdeliège

I've been chasing a related problem this weekend. Our A1379 does not function when connected via a USB hub, but works perfectly when inserted directly into a Mac mini or an iMac. What?

I tried connecting the Superdrive via a couple of external USB 3.0 hubs. Both were self-powered high-power hubs with 500mA, 1.5A and 2.5A ports. So the power supplied is well within specification. The salient current consumption (in millAmps) of the Superdrive from a USB port is:

About this Mac > System Information > Hardware > USB
Current Available (mA): 500
  Current Required (mA): 500
  Extra Operating Current (mA): 600

Although it was unresponsive, when connected via the third party hubs, the Superdrive was visible as a USB device.

Hint: You can check for the Superdrive using the LSUSB (list usb devices) command in a Terminal window.

Launchpad > Terminal > [terminal window]

lsusb
...etc...
Bus 0xx Device 0xx: ID 05ac:1500 Apple, Inc. SuperDrive [A1379]

I concluded, third party USB hubs are either preventing MacOS from seeing the volume/s on the Superdrive or, blocking some other handshake. Maybe the SMART STATUS of the Superdrive cannot be verified through a third party hub, but when connected directly to the Mac's own USB port it can. There is some extra foo the Mac's USB ports do with the Superdrive. But this would require some serious hacking of the USB bus to find out! Not worth it for just playing a few of Dad's CDs.

An annoyance, but I suspect the A1379 Superdrive has a designed-in dependency with MacOS that certain third party USB hubs cannot support.

Have a nice day :)

Sep 21, 2023 5:21 AM in response to Vincentdeliège

This IS a common issue, but only for those who:

• Connect the Superdrive via a hub, which doesn't always work. The Superdrive needs more power than typical USB accessories, and many hubs don't supply sufficient power.
    • Use an off-brand USB-A<-->USB-C adaptor

Many of us who connect a SuperDrive directly to our MacBook Airs using quality connectors and cables don't have these issues.

Apr 28, 2024 10:59 AM in response to Vincentdeliège

I’m hoping someone can help me at least get my trapped DVD to eject, and ideally get one of my two superdrives to actually work. I'm on my second refurbished superdrive and my second Apple-brand USB-C adapter.

The first superdrive worked for awhile and I was able to rip maybe 6 DVDs to my hard drive. From then on the superdrive would only make a quick power-up sound and then go quiet and not show up in the Finder. So I’ve got a DVD stuck in there (I’ve tried key commands while rebooting the computer that hasn’t helped).

• I’m connecting the superdrive to the USB-C port on my MacBook Air via the adapter (I am not using a hub).
  • Just to be on the safe side I unplugged the hub so the only things connected to the MacBook are the power cable and superdrive adapter.
  • I’ve tried the superdrive/adapter in both MacBook ports.
  • Up-to-date MacOS
  • If I try the terminal command drutil tray eject , the superdrive sounds like it’s powering up or about to eject the disk but...it doesn’t

The same thing happens with the second superdrive.

Anyone have any ideas?

Apr 28, 2024 11:09 AM in response to Vincentdeliège

Vincentdeliège wrote:

What exactly is the difference between an adaptor and a hub???

An adapter typically plugs into one port, and gives you one thing. E.g.,

• USB-C (USB) to USB-A
  • USB-C (DisplayPort) to DisplayPort
  • USB-C (DisplayPort) to HDMI
  • HDMI to single-link DVI

A hub or dock typically gives you many things. E.g.,

• USB-A hub that plugs into a USB-A or USB-C port and gives you four or more USB-A ports
  • USB-C hub/dock that gives you two USB-A ports, a SDXC card slot, a HDMI port, and an Ethernet port, plus "pass-through power" for charging your notebook

There are some things called "adapters" that might give you two or three things, but in general, "one vs. many" is the dividing line between an "adapter" and a "hub" or "dock".

Apr 28, 2024 1:32 PM in response to skater953

If holding the bottom left of the trackpad on boot does not eject the DVD, the only [desperate] hack that seems to work is go plug the Superdrive into a Windows PC and eject from there :(

One thought, what is the model number of the Apple USB-C to USB-A adapter? It might not be designed to satisfy the power budget of the Superdrive; the port is powerful enough but the intervening adapter is not.

USB super drive not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.