iOS 17 Storage Space Bug / Issue

This feature/item was not there upon iOS 16.6 - but after the upgrade to iOS17 - phone storage data has been taken up due to SYNCED CONTENT.

There was no reason for it to take up nearly 20-30% of the storage away from the phone (when my device had about 30-40 gigs left I'm down to 4.23gbs). This has disallowed me to back up my device to my iMac due to now lack of storage space b/c of this issue.

This seems to be an un-tested feature/bug/issue. I'm sure many users would not be happy knowing that their device storage was depleted for some unwanted/untested feature.

Is anybody else noticing this issue as well (as among many reddit forums /alternative forums as well).

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Sep 21, 2023 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2023 4:28 PM

Who else has updated to 17.1.2 and still having issues or experiencing new issues? I may try to withhold.

151 replies

Dec 11, 2023 5:42 AM in response to TexasWeatherGirl

Somewhere in this thread someone said they backed up to the cloud, wiped the phone, and started over from a factory reset. I tried that; it didn’t work. While the filling up is slightly less each day, I still have to reboot my phone every morning or it will fill up by noon and “brick”.

Additionally, the reboot wiped out all my apple watch faces that had been set up for years to do what I needed under various situations (work, workouts, photography, etc). They are all gone. AND many of the watch complications are now missing from the phone settings including apple’s own weather complication. Other apps are also behaving badly including CarPlay. So I don’t recommend a hard reset if you can get by with rebooting each day and everything else working as it should.

I did submit a feedback/bug ticket with apple. I’d suggest everyone doing that b/c they said right on the page they won’t respond individually but if they see enough submissions for the same problem they’ll look into it. So maybe they don’t look at these “boards” much. For now, I’ll just get by with rebooting I guess…

Sep 25, 2023 5:57 AM in response to AnjanSai

Sorry - but my reply got removed by APPLE b/c they thought i said something"true" that they didnt' like.

As a consumer as well as a person that works in tech - they had lot of time to test the OS out when they allowed it out for developers so - surprised to see it not even get noticed for such a HUGE Bug in the coding.

Sep 26, 2023 10:23 PM in response to STJ23

Hi everyone,

Looks like the storage issue is with Most of the apps like Youtube, Facebook, phone app music apps etc, Initially i thought it is only for Phone app but while using for 2 to 3days i got to know that when we use the apps for some time then the storage of that app increases drastically, even if there is no new downloads.

If i use the YouTube and browse the vides for 3 - 4 minutes the storage increase by 100 MB, if i use for longer time then the storage increase high for the YouTube app. So this is same for the Majority of the apps, as we use them the storage is getting increased.

This is a Major issue in the IOS 17 and i am wondering how such a big issue came out and why this was not found in the testing. There was almost 6 or 7 beta releases for IOS 17 and how could this Major bug be missed by the apple team.

After few days the storage will consumed and it is a dead end for all the users. Apple as to take a immediate action on this and try resolve the Bug ASAP.

Sep 25, 2023 4:17 AM in response to guboji

I have the exact same issue and reported to Apple support team thy say it might take some time to resolve the issue not sure how much time they might take.

But this is a show-stopper issue and each time we use the phone app the storage increases and after few days it will consume the complete storage and it's a dead end.

Sep 21, 2023 5:58 PM in response to STJ23

The same problem, and have seen it now on countless other iPhones. If you select "Music" in the iPhone Storage breakdown, the Synced content value is exactly the same storage value as the actual downloaded music data size. They are duplicating the music storage space twice. I think it is just a reporting bug, as it reports correctly within the "About" menu in General....thought they would have corrected this in 17.0.1, but they didn't!!!

Sep 22, 2023 1:39 AM in response to STJ23

I have checked today after updating to 17.0.1 and the issue is still there but this time a little different.

Now when i put some music on it shows 6 gb of music 6 gb of synced content again but it is actually 6 gb of storage when i calculate before and after.

on ios 17 it was duplicated and same 6gb would take 12 gb of storage in total. Lets hope ios developers fix this soon completely as now on the graphic for storage music and synced content are the same size still.

Sep 23, 2023 8:10 AM in response to guboji

Today i observe another issue with iphone storage since ios 17.0.1. The issue is that phone app is growing constantly after every time i open the phone app or view a contact. I am trying also to figure it out how to set up a full screen photo but not via poster. For now the only way is to delete the contact and save it as new then take a picture or select one from photo library change ratio to 3:5 and then use the assign to contact option trough share. Bear in mind that this is not always working but most times. Sorry if this is not fully relate but it might be helpful for some so i though i’d share:) Any one else have this issue?

Oct 19, 2023 4:58 AM in response to STJ23

I have iPhone 15 pro max last night my phone started to be come buggy would not turn off keep freezing this I kept getting notices that my memory was full. I have 512 memory capacity. So I had erase my stuff then restore from iCloud. It was really weird and my phone was getting hot from all that. Since I reset my phone seems to be ok now.

iOS 17 Storage Space Bug / Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.