Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Wi-fi stopped working after upgrading to iOS 17.0.1

I am having trouble with my internet connection since downloading the latest iOS update 17.0.1. I am only able to access the internet through cellular data. My other devices are working on the wi-fi network normally. This issue began immediately after installing the update.

iPhone 11, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 21, 2023 9:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 11:04 PM

Samen issue here. iPhone 11 updated to 17.0.1 on a stable mesh WiFi setup. Drops connection all the time. Or even shows WiFi connection but nothing loads.

No such issues before the update. No issues on an other iPhone 13, 2 iPads and an android work phone.

restarted the modem, restarted the 3 WiFi adapters throughout the house, forgot the network and reconnected, restarted the iPhone numerous times. Nothing works.

131 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2023 11:04 PM in response to ssc0312

Samen issue here. iPhone 11 updated to 17.0.1 on a stable mesh WiFi setup. Drops connection all the time. Or even shows WiFi connection but nothing loads.

No such issues before the update. No issues on an other iPhone 13, 2 iPads and an android work phone.

restarted the modem, restarted the 3 WiFi adapters throughout the house, forgot the network and reconnected, restarted the iPhone numerous times. Nothing works.

Dec 15, 2023 8:08 AM in response to ssc0312

Apple still try and deny there is an issue.

Lesson Learned. Will never update IOS ever again until at least version 3 as it’s too buggy.

I’m typing this message on my old iPhone 8 on iOS 15 as my new phone is now unusable on IOS

I have 150mb internet.

iPhone 8 Pro on iOS 15.6.1 gets full internet speed over wifi

iPad Pro on IOS 16.3.1 gets full speed from wifi

MacBook Pro gets full 150mb speed on wifi

BUT

At absolute best my Primary Phone on iOS 17.1.2 gets 8mb from a 150mb connection but 90-95% of the time it’s useless and won’t work with anything over Wi-Fi

additionally it…

*routinely drops WhatsApp calls

* can’t download emails over Wi-Fi but will over cellular

*routinely fails to connect to any messaging app such as WhatsApp or Messenger

*wont load simple news posts on BBC news app which are simple text plus one or two photos

ive even turned off background refresh for all apps and closed all apps but anything over Wi-Fi simply doesn’t work.

given I’m out of the UK I’ve had to pay £150 for cellular data abroad so my phone will work.

but all the Apple support Aholes still push the issue onto the customer.

thankfully I return to the UK next week and have a new and unused iPhone 14 Pro which was delivered before iOS 17 so I can essentially use that and throw my current phone in the bin.

zero trust in Apple now

own up and fix it you ********* ******** ***** D****bags

Sep 27, 2023 2:45 AM in response to MediocrePeter

Same with me: after update to 17.01 my Iphone 12pro max and also my iphone XR (work) I don’t have wifi connection.

Several restarts and reconnection doesn’t work.

The WiFi symbol says the devices are connected, but there is no signal and no acces to the modem (FritzBox).

All other devices work well.

Never had this problem before. Update 17.01 is faulty!

Sep 25, 2023 5:04 PM in response to ssc0312

I have a similar problem, documented in both Apple Feedback Assistant FB13192022, and this thread on Apple Developer Forum. Please file your own ticket via Feedback Assistant if you can and refer back if you could. My observations:

I have this same issue with the public release of iOS 17.0 with an iPhone 12. I cannot use certificate-based 802.1x authentication with work's wifi. My regular home WPA2 pre-shared key network works fine. As a odd curiosity, I also cannot use the 802.1x cert protected "XFINITY" public hotspot, but the lower-case "xfinitywifi" (no encryption) public hotspot network is OK.

If I try to go into settings->wifi while the cert-based network is trying to connect, the whole phone slows to a crawl, or Settings crashes. It could take 4 or 5 tries to turn wifi off, each "try" being 30 seconds. The phone heats up while this happens. Almost seems like something is retrying in a tight loop then a timeout.

Only workaround seems to be to use a non-cert-based network, or use cellular service.

--

One more observation -- both of these "bad" networks involve physical access points serving multiple SSIDs using different encryption methods. Is there some race condition bouncing between the virtual SSIDs?

--

Confirmed NOT fixed in 17.0.1.

Oct 17, 2023 10:59 AM in response to ssc0312

I'm having horrible Wi-Fi connectivity as well. I had the Beta and worked with no issues. In the days following the actual update I started having problems when on Wi-Fi. My connection is fast when it's working but it's very problematic:

1. Videos on IG and Twitter/X stop in the middle.
  2. Connecting to my Apple TVs to use as remote is also horrible, needing over 5 minutes to see the boxes. Also after connecting to one of them, it gets disconnected again constantly.
  3. Opening some links in Safari also fails sometimes with "page not available" and then it works when refreshing.

All other phones and devices in the house work perfectly, so it's not my router. I have an iPhone 14 Pro. I have tried the Network settings reset and also forgetting the Router and connecting to it again.

Feb 15, 2024 8:22 AM in response to ssc0312

I have an iPad Air 4 that I updated and nothing worked. I read all the posts on this page. Eventually Reddit saved me. Apparently it can be an issue with IPV6 or something, so a workaround is to disable it I believe.

anyway this worked for me;

1. Go to Settings
  2. tap i next to your Wi-Fi SSID
  3. Configure DNS
  4. Select Manual
  5. Remove your IPv6 DNS addresses

I messed around with it until it worked. Hopefully this helps some people!

Wi-fi stopped working after upgrading to iOS 17.0.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.