Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Photo settings on iPhone's Safari stuck on “Private Access” with iOS 17

In Settings>Privacy and Security>Photos, Safari shows Private Access as the only option and states "This app can show your photo library but can only access the items you select." I cannot find anywhere to select/deselect photos. All other apps show None, Limited Access or Full Access. I am missing something.

Can anyone shed some light?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 5:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2023 10:20 AM

Hi Apple. iOS is tagging apps randomly with this Private Access setting which makes it impossible to upload pictures. Why this behaviour can not be controlled. Please issue a fix!

100 replies

Oct 26, 2023 1:00 AM in response to Saltie Dawg

I started seeing this problem when apple introduced custom photos/posters in ios17. That time it was contact app which got private access to my photo. Now that is gone but it resurfaced for safari. Even resetting the location and privacy settings does not help.

i have my icloud access disabled overall and so icloud photo sharing but still i have it enabled and i have no means to disable it.

This is very critical security issue as I dont know what caused it enabled in first place and why Safari( which is the window to the internet) has unchallenged private access to it?

It is very frustrated and concerning.

Is anyone from Apple listening?

Sep 28, 2023 5:47 AM in response to Lissy_12

Hello Lissy_12,

Thank You for your reply but unfortunately the link you provided does not address the question posed as addressed by applepie's response.

I apologize in advance if my second query seems simplistic but I think I might not have posed my question correctly.

I was asking;

1. All apps except Safari show 3 choices listed in Settings>Privacy & Security>Photos (none, limited access, full access)
  2. Safari only shows private access stating "This app can show your photo library, but can only access the items you select".
  3. I can find nowhere any select/deselect settings or any user settings for that matter for Safari/Photos.
  4. I don't have a privacy concern, just trying to understand the apparently new IOS 17 feature.

Dec 1, 2023 4:59 AM in response to Saltie Dawg

I has a very similar problem. When I check Settings>Privacy>Photos, I had a single app that only had two options available to select -- None, Add Only.

I was able to solve this problem, by going to Settings>General>iPhone Storage and selecting the app in question, and choose the offload option which deletes the app, but retains its data. After reinstalling the app, all options became visible.

Note, this only became a problem for me with iOS 17.01

Nov 28, 2023 6:59 AM in response to milemin

I’m having this problem as well. The issue for me is that I am also unable to SAVE any photos to my camera roll. I have a paid membership for Canva and need to download my designs to my phone for work. I am no longer able to do this as it’s set to “private access” with no other option and it restricts me. How does this issue get escalated to Apple to be fixed? This is a HUGE problem!!!

Nov 13, 2023 3:24 PM in response to Saltie Dawg

iPad Pro 17.1.1

I’m having the same issue since the last update. However, I figured out a workaround until Apple fixes this bug.

In order to post a photo or video to an App or a social media url webpage that has Private Access or an App that has the correct permissions but still doesn’t work:

1) In Photos, select the photo or video you want to post.

2) Hold down on the photo or video until a menu pops out.

3) Select Share then Save To Files

4) Select iCloud Drive

5) Save it to the Downloads folder

6) Posting on an APP or url website, Select Photo/Video icon

7) Select Choose Files

8) Select iCloud Drive

9) Open Downloads folder and select your photo or video

This is really a messed up way to share photos and videos, but it works. If anyone has a better solution, please share.

Nov 14, 2023 11:02 PM in response to vb_

The setting “Private Access” is perfectly fine. If you have trouble selecting photos from your Photo Library to upload to websites there might be another problem (like e.g. not seeing videos in the selector because the site would only take stills).

As the text for this “unchangeable setting” explains, it means that Safari and therefore websites by default have No Access to your Photo Library, it remains “Private”.

When you want to upload photos to a website from your Photo Library, you get a photo picker like the one for „Limited Access“ to select which photos the upload process will see at all. The only difference to „Limited Access“ is, that it does not remember your last choices but defaults to no photos selected for access every time. Hence the different naming „Private Access“.

This is by the way not new and exactly the way photo selection for certain apps like Browsers worked before (I assume since iOS 14). With iOS 17 only the presentation and wording of this function changed. Up to iOS 16 “Limited Access” showed as “Selected Photos” and Apps like Safari would be listed separately under the heading “Apps with One-Off Photo Selection”, see screenshot.

Jan 25, 2024 8:52 AM in response to Dislike_usernaming

Believe it or not, some of us WANT to save photos from Safari to our photos app and now that functionality is destroyed. Good job Apple. Break something that some of us find ESSENTIAL for use on our phones. In case the sarcasm was lost on you eggheads who clearly didn’t think this through, this is unacceptable behavior and needs to be fixed. If you make a change this drastic then also make sure the user can turn it off/roll it back/undo it. Don’t tell me that Safari is not allowed to share a photo to have it saved to the camera roll, that’s unacceptable and needs to be fixed and escalated. Wake up Apple!!!

Photo settings on iPhone's Safari stuck on “Private Access” with iOS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.