Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

iPhone 15 pro max taking ages to set up

Been trying to set up my iPhone 15 and went through instructions. Stuck on the 'Sign in with your iCloud Apple ID. Now it's got spinning icon with no info. I have a lot of DATA on my iPhone 13 pro max - is this the reason? been nearly 2 hours so far....

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2023 9:32 AM

I am setting up my new iphone15 PRO and its stuck on update requested from last 1 hour. Is it a genuine issue or some problem with the update

22 replies

Oct 11, 2023 6:46 PM in response to Judahdaniel

I had this problem as well, upgrading from an iPhone 13 Pro to an iPhone 15 Pro Max. I started the set up process on the iPhone 13 and it went well up until the iPhone 15 got stuck on the “signing in“ process. Just by chance, I stumbled on another way to solve this. I exited out of the set up process on the iPhone 13. When I did that the iPhone 15 went from stock to asking me for the password for my iCloud account. I entered my current password. I did not change the password first. When I put in the correct password the process proceeded normally.

Why doesn’t Apple respond to these problems in the Community? We all shouldn’t have to stumble around trying to set up a $1000+ phone!

Sep 22, 2023 11:50 AM in response to Judahdaniel

I've seen reports of problems with the setup.

What could help is to go through the setup agent without signing in or restoring data, then update the iPhone 15 to iOS 17.0.2, reset it to factory settings and then do the proper setup with signing in and restoring.

Since your iPhone is stuck, I would recommend a hard reboot: Force restart iPhone - Apple Support (MY)

That will probably end up in an unsuccessful setup which lets you then proceed as described above. After two hours, I would not expect the migration to recover itself even when the amount of data is high.

Also, make sure, your old iPhone is on the latest version of iOS.

Sep 23, 2023 12:19 AM in response to Lexx3

I got fed up and connected to computer. This worked to synch to some degree but I'm noticing that a lot of important app data/passwords are not working and I cant remember which is which.

Importantly, I'm having a few issues with transferring bank details to use applepay. The bank didn't accept the passcode they sent?? I have to wait 7 days to get through the post now.

I've gone back to the older iPhone 13 for now so I can review my bank stufff (business and personal) - and am quite disappointed with the new iPhone right now.

I have to reinstall all the social media apps too. I'm resigned to thinking this is a long haul manual task to get the iPhone up to scratch so I can use it in the everyday way I was used to.

Nov 2, 2023 8:00 AM in response to HowaldOliver

I'm on my second iPhone 15 Pro (first was replaced). Same issue on both, hangs on Apple ID. Issue is definitely the need to update the software on the phone first, so suggestion above makes sense. If the phone is not restarted after update it will hang on next steps. So this time, I ended up restarting the phone when it hung at Apple ID.

Then following prompts to continue setup and it is working now. Also, in both phones, the former phone would not scan the Quick Start blue dots, nothing happened so had to do it manually.

Nov 29, 2023 1:01 AM in response to Cjblack

I had the same thing - have you tried connecting to your Mac? This is how I got things moving. (I did still have to slowly add a number of apps that didn’t transfer - but most of my stuff went across).

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned the new toggle button. (Top Left side).

Try this?

Failing these as viable fixes, there are a few other suggestions that might work for you in this thread.

iPhone 15 pro max taking ages to set up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.