iOS17 broke FTP via hotspot

Hello guys,

On iOS16 (last update) I was able to connect to the FTP server on my Mac (13.5.2) when using the hotspot from the iPhone.

However, since I've updated to iOS17 (17.0.1), I cannot use the FTP server. I've tried using two different programs to access the FTP server and I can't. I've also tried it on the iPad (17.0.1) and doesn't work.

Everything is fine when using Wi-Fi and also fine when using mobile data on the iPhone, so the only thing that does not work is via the iPhone hotspot.

Is there any solution for this?

Thank you in advance.

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 3:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 11:52 AM

Many people have already written about this problem on the Internet in various forums. It is annoying that Apple has not reacted so far. I can't imagine that at least one employee hasn't already noticed this problem.

38 replies

Sep 27, 2023 6:21 AM in response to TiagoCordeiro

I am a photojournalist and regularly connect to the hotspot on my iPhone to send photos to ftp. I broadcast a version to ios 17 and indeed I was not able to change the version and I did not understand what was wrong Just downgrade a version back to 16.7 or something similar Then it worked again for me and I can send photos to ftp For now I turned you off. iPhone software updates Another photographer friend told me that there is a situation where the ability to send photos to ftp was blocked in the latest version

Sep 27, 2023 7:35 AM in response to TiagoCordeiro

This is definitely something in iOS 17 that is blocking Port 21 for FTP over Hotspot.

I can use a VPN on a laptop via hotspot and that worked - but does no good when I’m trying to connect a camera like Nikon Z9, or others.

what’s the best way to file copious amounts of bug reports with Apple?

FTP might be old tech, but it’s still tech we need.

there is another thread here

Can't connect to FTP server when I'm conn… - Apple Community

Sep 24, 2023 11:56 AM in response to TiagoCordeiro

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem.

I've tried disabling the private relay, but that doesn't change anything. I've also tried using a VPN, but that didn't work either.

I'm going to call Apple tomorrow to see if they have a solution but I'm afraid that either the function will be permanently removed because in SFTP it works (My client is still in FTP) or in the best case just a bug that will be fixed in a future update.

Sep 28, 2023 1:10 AM in response to TiagoCordeiro

I have the same problem. The connection by another iOS 16 iPhone is still working. Definitely iOS 17 bug and not carrier issue. I went to Apple Store assistance yesterday and they just said to me it’s strange problem but they don’t notice for other users and to wait next firmware update… frustrating! I’ll try to call Apple Care phone service. Do you know if there’s a way to report the problem to engineers directly? I remember something about that

iOS17 broke FTP via hotspot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.