PAGES Shift+Return Keystroke for soft return no longer working

With the newest update to Pages, the Shift+Return shortcut to inserting a soft return is no longer working. I've used PAGES since the beginning, it appears to be a software bug. Any help???

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2024 8:50 PM

Wow, this is now January, 4 months past the OP, I just updated my Pages, and now I also can't use shift-return anymore!!!!!!!!!! I've used shift-return everywhere for 30 years! WTF is Apple doing?!@

52 replies

Feb 28, 2024 4:25 AM in response to im4GMG

I agree. Everyone who's posted here should submit the bug report using this link: Feedback - Pages - Apple. It's the only way they're really going to do anything about it—unless they happen to have a regression test that somehow surfaces between now and the next release.

If they did have said test, there's a good chance they wouldn't have made this change.

I find this particular feature really annoying because some apps do SHIFT+ENTER, some do CTRL+ENTER and some do both. It's even worse because the current Mac version of Excel requires OPTION+ENTER to get soft returns in a cell!

But the principle here is that you've trained your users for decades how to do this—and then you change it. There's no reason they couldn't have just added an additional shortcut, because I've never heard of SHIFT+ENTER having any other function than this.

SUBMIT YOUR FEEDBACK!

It's the only way to effectively b*tch about stuff like this. Comments here aren't really going to do much.

PAGES Shift+Return Keystroke for soft return no longer working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.