Newsroom Update

Updates to the Home experience elevate entertainment and bring more convenience. Learn more >

HomeKit automation not working after iOS 17

All my automation are not working anymore after updating : I don’t think connection is the problem because I can control all my devices (2 HomePod paired and Apple TV 4K) with home app without problems.

Automation are completely broken, I try to delete them and reboot HomePods but I can’t fix them, they don’t trigger when they should but they don’t work even with “verify automation” button

The phone could perfectly control all devices except with automations

HomePod, 17

Posted on Sep 25, 2023 10:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2023 8:57 AM

Automations / Shortcuts / Siri… in my experience are all completely unreliable since iOS17.

Sorry, no solutions here, just a list of some of the “bugs” I’m experiencing.

1. Simple on/off automations for Lights which worked previously, no longer work
  2. Lights frequently turn on at 70% brightness instead of 100% - Adaptive lighting has never been used on any bulb
  3. “Siri Turn On / Off the Lights in room xx ”…. Confirmation tone, but no action
  4. I’m looking in the Home App at two configured, activated Automations which have just appeared…a) When The First Person Arrives Home’, b) When The Last Person Leaves Home’. I don’t / have never used or created any Automations which are Location dependent
  5. Some Shortcurs / Automation's will work with Verify whilst building, but then fail when implemented, unable to discover why, so I just abandon
  6. Frequently need to ask twice to get Siris attention
  7. Several radiators (named Radiator Room Xx) which are controlled via TRV’s. Which Siri has had no problem with until iOS17. Now it’s….

“Siri Turn Off the Radiator in the Hallway” ….”Sorry, I don’t find anything like that in your Home”…

OK, so I’ll rename the TRV to Heating….

“Siri Turn Off the Heating in the Hallway”  ….Responds with “On It!, followed by a confirmation tone”. However, nothing happens. (other than the false, misleading confirmation tone)

Try for a second time….”Siri Turn Off the Heating in the Hallway” ….Viola, the Automation worked as expected

What is interesting is, requests to turn off TRVs in other rooms are actioned OK. Even several which are in different rooms but Grouped. It appears Siri just sometimes doesn’t like the TRV in the Hallway.

Additionally, I’m tired of checking and resetting, settings reconfigured by iOS updates! PRIVACY & SECURITY > LOCATION SERVICES > SYSTEN SERVICES  > 

• Significant Locations
  • IPhone Analytics 
  • Routing & Traffic

…Are all set to ON.

The last 3 updates, gave all reconfigured these settings. Why? This has been widely reported since iOS17, so why are updates still being pushed with known bugs?! 

More debugging - less Emojis! 

“It just works”… sadly that time has passed. The only thing you can rely on these days is Bugs.

It’s no longer fun or efficient. Just tiresome. My whole Apple experience these days is frustrating, tedious and far from enjoyable. Second guessing, fault analysis and workarounds are now a daily activity.

Currently trying to work out why my phone no longer makes a noise when I receive an iMessage. Just discovered another Post, seems I’m not alone.

Similar questions

56 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2023 8:57 AM in response to Mett03

Automations / Shortcuts / Siri… in my experience are all completely unreliable since iOS17.

Sorry, no solutions here, just a list of some of the “bugs” I’m experiencing.

1. Simple on/off automations for Lights which worked previously, no longer work
  2. Lights frequently turn on at 70% brightness instead of 100% - Adaptive lighting has never been used on any bulb
  3. “Siri Turn On / Off the Lights in room xx ”…. Confirmation tone, but no action
  4. I’m looking in the Home App at two configured, activated Automations which have just appeared…a) When The First Person Arrives Home’, b) When The Last Person Leaves Home’. I don’t / have never used or created any Automations which are Location dependent
  5. Some Shortcurs / Automation's will work with Verify whilst building, but then fail when implemented, unable to discover why, so I just abandon
  6. Frequently need to ask twice to get Siris attention
  7. Several radiators (named Radiator Room Xx) which are controlled via TRV’s. Which Siri has had no problem with until iOS17. Now it’s….

“Siri Turn Off the Radiator in the Hallway” ….”Sorry, I don’t find anything like that in your Home”…

OK, so I’ll rename the TRV to Heating….

“Siri Turn Off the Heating in the Hallway”  ….Responds with “On It!, followed by a confirmation tone”. However, nothing happens. (other than the false, misleading confirmation tone)

Try for a second time….”Siri Turn Off the Heating in the Hallway” ….Viola, the Automation worked as expected

What is interesting is, requests to turn off TRVs in other rooms are actioned OK. Even several which are in different rooms but Grouped. It appears Siri just sometimes doesn’t like the TRV in the Hallway.

Additionally, I’m tired of checking and resetting, settings reconfigured by iOS updates! PRIVACY & SECURITY > LOCATION SERVICES > SYSTEN SERVICES  > 

• Significant Locations
  • IPhone Analytics 
  • Routing & Traffic

…Are all set to ON.

The last 3 updates, gave all reconfigured these settings. Why? This has been widely reported since iOS17, so why are updates still being pushed with known bugs?! 

More debugging - less Emojis! 

“It just works”… sadly that time has passed. The only thing you can rely on these days is Bugs.

It’s no longer fun or efficient. Just tiresome. My whole Apple experience these days is frustrating, tedious and far from enjoyable. Second guessing, fault analysis and workarounds are now a daily activity.

Currently trying to work out why my phone no longer makes a noise when I receive an iMessage. Just discovered another Post, seems I’m not alone.

Oct 27, 2023 4:59 PM in response to PierrotRock

I’m facing the same exact issue, my TV (LG C9) can trigger anything on shut down, but not when turned on. This is a problem, because it no longer turns on a light strip behind it, it can only turn it off. The problem started after updating to 17.1 (iPhone and Apple TV). At first I thought it was an issue with the tv itself, but restoring factory settings and adding it again to HomeKit didn’t help. Please look into this issue, as it’s the only useful feature of HomeKit enabled tv

Oct 17, 2023 4:30 AM in response to Mett03

Kind of the same story here for me.

In fact, automations are working, but only to shut down everything.

I have several automations to turn on the light, color & brightness depending on the time of the day when I turn the TV on, but for a few days, those automations aren't working anymore. The TV turn on, but not the lights. I've tried to find where the issue is coming from, by adding another automation like playing music when the TV turn on, but same issue.

However, I have an automation to turn all the lights off when I turn off the TV during the day, and it's working fine.

Definitely a software issue.

I've deleted, my Homekit TV (LG CX), all the automations, reset my homepods, Apple TV, ... and recreate it again (via the Home app, and as Shortcuts) but nothing worked.

I don't want to delete my current Home and create a new one, or at least if really necessary (and not sure it will fix it as the automations is working in one way...).

I think I'm out of solutions.

If someone has a solution I didn't try, I'll be happy to learn more about it.

Dec 10, 2023 8:23 AM in response to Mett03

I hope that some of you can make those automations work again with the next points:

1) turn on your location services AND most important 'significant locations'

2) make sure the time zone location service in privacy and security settings is turned on. (sunset and sun rise may differ from location to location, even when you stay in the same time zone)

3) Set date and time in 'General Settings' to automatic.

4) Delete and set up all time or sunset and rise related automations. Be sure to undo and redo some specific weekdays. It seems that during updates this informations has not been set up right. This may also happen when you switch to another iPhone of pod or AppleTV. (I think )

5 Open iCloud settings on all your devices and switch off the Home app from syncing.

6) Shut down all your devices and restart them.

7) Open iCloud settings again and switch syncing for the Home app on.

(And when by accident you have 'Home Controller app' installed because someone told you it was so useful, just delete that one. It may mess things up, don't instal it again.)

These points are only for those with automations not working. Siri not working has another reason is my believe. I don't give any guarantees ;-) But it will be nice to know if some of you get the automations to work again.

Dec 30, 2023 6:05 AM in response to Mett03

Hey all,

I too am having the same issue. If you go to Bug Reporting - Apple Developer

there is a link that will open the Apple Feedback portal. I have submitted an incident there (screenshot below) and if everyone does the same with a similar title then hopefully this will get escalated and fixed soon. I’m going to post this same information on a couple of other forums that I’ve found this same issue on and hope to get it patched soon! Cheers!

Dec 30, 2023 6:17 AM in response to Mett03

Hey all, 

I too am having the same issue. If you go to ”https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/#feedback-assistant” there is a link that will open the Apple Feedback Assistant portal (I have had to type the link manually otherwise Apple removes it). I have submitted an incident there (screenshot below) and if everyone does the same with a similar title then hopefully this will get escalated and fixed soon. I’m going to post this same information on a couple of other forums that I’ve found this same issue on and hope to get it patched soon! Cheers!

Dec 30, 2023 6:22 AM in response to Mett03

I too am having the same issue. If you search the web for Apple’s ‘Feedback Assistant’ you will get taken to a feedback app/portal I have submitted an incident there (screenshot below) and if everyone does the same with a similar title then hopefully this will get escalated and fixed soon. I’m going to post this same information on a couple of other forums that I’ve found this same issue on and hope to get it patched soon! Cheers!

Oct 29, 2023 5:47 AM in response to Mett03

Hope that continues to work for you. My problem sounds similar to francois-m. iPhone set to play a radio station when a specific alarm occurs. I thought it might be interference from Standby, so turned it off. No joy. Alarm buzzes on my Apple Watch, even though it's supposed to be silent, then sits there not implementing the next step in the Automation. If I then manually trigger the shortcut, it plays the radio. I have a second automation which triggers at a specific time, changes the radio station and transfers to an Apple TV via Airplay. With the iPhone now unlocked and playing the original radio station, the second automation triggered and started playing the new radio station on the iPhone, then woke up the Apple TV, but failed to transfer the sound from the iPhone. I was able to complete the transfer manually. This is so lame!

Dec 9, 2023 11:40 PM in response to mariotheplumber

Additionally, I’m tired of checking and resetting, settings reconfigured by iOS updates!

PRIVACY & SECURITY > LOCATION SERVICES > SYSTEM SERVICES  > 

• Significant Locations
  • IPhone Analytics 
  • Routing & Traffic

…Are all set to ON.

EDIT….. the LAST 4 UPDATES, have all reconfigured these settings!

For pity's sake Apple. It’s not rocket science (thank goodness).

REPEAT…. so why are updates still being pushed with known bugs?! 

Oct 29, 2023 4:39 AM in response to Michele0983

Yeah it's a pity.

But don't look too far, about wi-fi or router, or iCloud account, and HomePods.

My automation is very local (iPhone) and simple : When waking up (bedtime native trigger) Play a playlist and Set volume.

This has worked EVERY single day for years, I got only one fail when my phone obviously updated over night. Otherwise I use this as my only wake-up alarm for years and I never missed a flight !!!

Since IOS 17 it fails often and sometimes it works ; I still couldn't identify the reason why...

HomeKit automation not working after iOS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.