Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 15 Pro Carplay disconnects

my new iPhone 15 pro is constantly disconnecting on apple carplay. Tried multiple usb c leads and holders and still happens. Didn’t happen with iPhone 14 pro lightning, android auto usb c. And my wife’s iPhone 15 doesn’t disconnect. Is this an isolated iPhone 15 pro issue that needs to be replaced or is this a serious iPhone 15 pro fault?

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 6:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 12:36 PM

I’m having the exact issue. From day one receiving the new iPhone 15 Pro. Previously had an iPhone 13 Pro with no issues. Tried multiple USB to C adapters.. there seems to be no rhyme or reason, but consistently disconnects from CarPlay. Contacted Apple and they didn’t seem to have any real solutions. I explained that this seems to be a very troubling safety hazard, especially if I was traveling long distance using Apple Maps very discouraged. Based on my troubleshooting, I think it’s a bug that needs attention ASAP

Similar questions

148 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2023 12:36 PM in response to JDearest

I’m having the exact issue. From day one receiving the new iPhone 15 Pro. Previously had an iPhone 13 Pro with no issues. Tried multiple USB to C adapters.. there seems to be no rhyme or reason, but consistently disconnects from CarPlay. Contacted Apple and they didn’t seem to have any real solutions. I explained that this seems to be a very troubling safety hazard, especially if I was traveling long distance using Apple Maps very discouraged. Based on my troubleshooting, I think it’s a bug that needs attention ASAP

Jan 3, 2024 2:46 AM in response to Hollythelab

This community has all the same issues but no one from Apple actually gives a ****.. I called them and explained and they claim they’ve never heard of this issue and it must be the car, or the cord etc.. I directed them to this chat but they ignore it and me.

typical Apple, no integrity and just scoundrels the way they do business.

meanwhile, we all have faulty phone that they refuse to acknowledge or repair or replace.

Oct 7, 2023 5:39 PM in response to Emasterav

I did some more googling and found that other users that had the same issue fixed it by getting new cables and making sure that they were “data transfer” cables and not just “charging” cables. I didn’t realize there was a difference. I’ve ordered a new cable, usb to usb-c data transfer so we’ll see if that fixes it. I’ll keep you posted.

Nov 3, 2023 2:55 AM in response to Hollythelab

This is still a continued problem. I drove a rental the same day as I got my iPhone and had no issues. When returned home to my car still cannot connect. Cord will charge my phone but doesn’t connect to CarPlay. I’m in a hands free state and this was a huge problem when using navigation as I was constantly trying to look at my CarPlay screen (as I’ve grown accustomed to) and it has nothing there but radio. Kept trying different cords to no avail. Just messing with the cords was a distraction on the road. Hope there is a resolution soon as I do a good bit of distance driving and really love my CarPlay. Ordered multiple cords and connectors hoping one will work until something else is supported by an Apple fix. Hurry Apple before someone drives their car under a semi while trying to get their CarPlay to work properly.

Jan 11, 2024 1:09 PM in response to Hollythelab

Verified working solution for me was cable replacement:

Vehicle 1 - 2019 Acura TLX w/ wired CarPlay

Vehicle 2 - 2017 Honda Pilot w/ wired CarPlay

Previously both vehicles exhibited the disconnect issue frequently. I was able to duplicate the issue consistently by running Apple Music + Maps + active phone call. I tried the following cables:

1) Cable packaged with iPhone 15 Pro Max + USB C adapter - BAD

2) Nintendo Switch cable - BAD but better. Stayed connected for 10+ minutes before glitching

Replaced with:

CONMDEX USB C Cable [3ft, 2-Pack] 10Gbps USB 3.1 Gen 2 USB A to USB C Data Transfer Cord purchased from amazon. USD $13 for 2-pack

I just drove for hours with everything running and had zero issues.

Good luck!

Nov 8, 2023 5:50 AM in response to Hollythelab

I use a 15 Plus and CarPlay worked for me no problem for a month. But today (about 2 hours ago) I updated to iOS 17.1.1 and all my USB-C cables stopped working. CarPlay keeps disconnecting every 3 seconds and the only cable that charges my phone is the original one that came in the iPhone package. I know for a fact that all of these cables work because I used them for a month with this exact phone. I am so disappointed honestly, I hope they fix it.

Nov 5, 2023 3:39 PM in response to wolfordclay

I ended up finding my Samsung USB-C from the before iphone time. And it actually keeps CarPlay connected. Just went for a 45 minute drive....bumps...dips....funny looks....picking phone off mount to do something....stayed connected.

Looked up my amazon history and it was this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071G2XT6M. YMMV but I'll be ordering another.

Pretty annoying that something that SHOULD have some standards and consistencies like a cable/connector...can cause such grief.

Jan 14, 2024 1:01 PM in response to Hollythelab

I have to say that it is nuts if this is solved by a different cable. Typically a cable, a completely passive object, either works or doesn't work. It doesn't decide to work some days and not on others. I'm skeptical and think there's something going on in the background (firmware related). I'd be shocked if CarPlay ever needed the higher data speed. It worked fine over USB-A to Lightening and most Lightening devices (as I understand it) only support USB 2.0 with a max data rate of 480 Mbps.

https://www.kingston.com/en/usb-flash-drives/usb-30

Something's fishy...

Feb 20, 2024 5:24 AM in response to Hollythelab

Both my wife and I have an iphone 15 pro and in both our cars apple carplay keeps disconnecting.

I never had this issue with iphone 14 pro or 13 pro.

I have tried multiple caples without anything working.

Apple support recommended their usbc to usba converter together with apple usbc caples, but that didn't work either.

I have also tried wireless with Carlinkit 5.0 2Air but it still disconnects.

Yesterday I tried a wired connection but with an iPhone 14 Pro, and it never lost connection.

The issue must be the iphone 15 pro, and I don't get why apple doesn't fix this.

Both iphone and car has the latest software update.

May 8, 2024 12:25 PM in response to Hollythelab

I have tried:

1. new cables (the ones recommended here)
  2. connecting my phone to the car BEFORE starting the car
  3. unlocking the phone first
  4. connecting when the battery is well above 50% (anywhere from 80% to fully charged)

problem STILL occurs. Only happens when on a call. Sometimes it takes 15+ minutes. Phone will drop back to a Bluetooth connection and I have to unplug cable then reconnect and CarPlay comes back. This is in a Jeep wrangler with the premium sound system.

had an iPhone 12 Pro Max until 2 weeks ago. It was flawless. Same IOS version. Upgraded to 15pro max and has been trouble since day one.

iPhone 15 Pro Carplay disconnects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.