Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iOS 17 update WiFi calling not working?

Since I updated my 14 pro to iOS 17 my WiFi calling which I depend on bc of poor coverage in my home does not work. Calls are constantly being dropped. I have updated carrier settings and restarted phone. I have Verizon. Anyone else notice this?

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 7:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2023 3:29 PM

I am having two issues with the WiFi calling. These both started with the update to iOS 17. I waited until 17.1.1 was available to update from iOS 16 to try and avoid this type of update induced bug. First, when someone calls there is no connection and it goes straight to voicemail. I am usually able to initiate and complete calls although sometime I get a call Failed message.

The second issue is that sometimes I will call out and the receiver will answer. I will hear them but they are not able to hear me.

This is very annoying because I do not have a strong enough signal to make calls from my house although if I go outside to the right spot I can send and receive texts.

These issues are present with both my iPhone 12 and my wife's new iPhone 15. Verizon is our carrier and we have Xfinity cable internet service.

I hope there is a quick resolution to these issues.

39 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2023 3:29 PM in response to Reenie618

I am having two issues with the WiFi calling. These both started with the update to iOS 17. I waited until 17.1.1 was available to update from iOS 16 to try and avoid this type of update induced bug. First, when someone calls there is no connection and it goes straight to voicemail. I am usually able to initiate and complete calls although sometime I get a call Failed message.

The second issue is that sometimes I will call out and the receiver will answer. I will hear them but they are not able to hear me.

This is very annoying because I do not have a strong enough signal to make calls from my house although if I go outside to the right spot I can send and receive texts.

These issues are present with both my iPhone 12 and my wife's new iPhone 15. Verizon is our carrier and we have Xfinity cable internet service.

I hope there is a quick resolution to these issues.

Jan 23, 2024 9:56 AM in response to Reenie618

Same issue here. On IOS 17.2.1 both my 11 Pro Max and my Sister’s 14 Pro have been unable to reliably receive calls or SMS when on wifi with 1-2 bars of signal. We have Xfinity cable internet at 800+mbps down and 100+mbps up and Verizon is our cellular carrier. Oddly our phones still show VZW WIFI as the carrier when connected to our home network and wifi calling is turned on, but still no calls or texts come through. If we turn WiFi calling off or disconnect from our home wifi the issue goes away. We’ve followed all of the suggested steps to resolve this issue with no success. This was not an issue for either of us before upgrading to IOS 17. Seems to be either an issue with IOS 17 or Verizon’s compatibility with updates made to wifi calling in IOS 17

Feb 6, 2024 2:41 PM in response to Reenie618

WIFI calling is not working for me also. I am traveling in South America currently. I am able to use a local SIM with a data plan and my US line will connect using the cellular data of the other line. However, if I turn on WIFI, my US line says "No Service". WIFI calling was working fine until about 2 days ago.

Mar 14, 2024 7:43 AM in response to WendDeac

I encourage everyone with this issue to please reach out to Apple Support (can do over iMessage); posting here is useful for end users, but it will get more notice if official support cases are opened. Don't let them shunt you to Verizon, who will spout BS and try to upsell you to a newer more expensive plan.

My case was escalated, but has stalled bc the tech is convinced it has to be Verizon signal-strength issue bc it's happening on more than one of my phones...but not all. As most of us have seen here, this is clearly not the end of the story...it's happening on lots of phones, and the issue is how iOS deals with that weak signal strength, and the buggy fail-over to WiFi calling we are all running into.

Mar 11, 2024 12:05 PM in response to Reenie618

I’m having this same issue. In fact, I’d say I have proof that it is an iOS problem not a router problem since my device on iOS 16.x was making calls fine but my spouse’s phone (on iOS 17.x) was having this problem. When I updated to iOS 17, I started having the same issues. Please help, Apple! I live in an area with almost no cell service and we rely on the WiFi calling for household and work calls as well as emergencies.

Mar 10, 2024 10:53 AM in response to Reenie618

Yep, didn’t notice it not working until a recent upgrade to the new Verizon router. Not sure if it’s just the Apple iOS (17.4) or the router, but it just doesn’t work. The only temporary fix is been to go first to airplane mode, then turn it off. Signal bars suddenly appear but it still doesn’t go back to the WiFi as well. I’ve had several folks say that they can’t call me as it rolls over to VM. MFA is difficult to do as well since an authentication text msg doesn’t come through until I do the Airplane on/off work-around. WTF Apple?

iOS 17 update WiFi calling not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.