Problems with Apple Watch after updating to watchOS 10.0.1

Since updating, I've lost a bundle of functions such as waterproofing, silence, 'where is my phone', wifi on/off, battery charge. I've chatted with Apple who had no answers and the chat after an hour of going in circles dropped out. I am very unhappy with this update, it has complicated my watch and I can't revert.

has anyone else had this problem? I use to be able to click on the watchface, swipe down and there they all were. Now I just get the weather (which I already get on the face, so it's not exactly a great update but an annoying duplication.)

And I can't waterproof my watch anymore.

Any solutions? Anyone?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch SE, watchOS 10

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 3:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2023 6:48 PM

I'm having MAJOR issues with my Apple Watch Series 4 since updating to 10.0.1.

The worst issue I have is that the battery drains to nothing within a matter of hours. Prior to the update I NEVER HAD BATTERY ISSUES. Since the update to watchOS 10 there are nights where I go to bed with 100% power and I wake up 6-7 hours later with it either totally DEAD or dead enough where it will only show the time when pressing a button. So my sleep doesn't get logged. But sometimes under the exact same circumstances I wake up with it at 40%.

There are mornings when I leave my place and it's at 100%, and within 5 hours it's telling me it's down to 10%. Then there are rare times when it will get me 8-10 hours.

There is NOTHING enabled on my watch anymore due to these problems. I keep it on airplane mode ALWAYS. Every time I put it on the charger I put it into low power mode. I have cellular disabled and WIFI off. The volume is turned all the way down. The screen brightness is turned all the way down. And yet it KEEPS only lasting a few hours ever since this update!!!

The other MAJOR problem I am now having is the watch freezes half the time! It randomly wont respond to me touching the screen or side buttons. Even though it's ALWAYS next to my iPhone 13 Pro Max, I'd say at least 75% of the time I hold down the crown side button for a second so SIRI is listening, I then give it a voice command to remind me of something or whatever, it will show what I said on the screen, and then tell me SOMETHING IS WRONG AND IT DOESNT UNDERSTAND!

I cannot describe how FRUSTRATING all this is!!!

Back when the watch was new it was $800-$900. Plus I am paying $15/month for cellular service on it which I cannot even enable because of the new battery problem.

So am I being forced to buy a new watch now??

Because Apple won't let me downgrade the software back to when everything worked, now I am having to buy a new watch?? I think this is really MESSED UP.

Is anyone else having the same issues with their watch?

202 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2023 6:48 PM in response to wilhelmina35

I'm having MAJOR issues with my Apple Watch Series 4 since updating to 10.0.1.

The worst issue I have is that the battery drains to nothing within a matter of hours. Prior to the update I NEVER HAD BATTERY ISSUES. Since the update to watchOS 10 there are nights where I go to bed with 100% power and I wake up 6-7 hours later with it either totally DEAD or dead enough where it will only show the time when pressing a button. So my sleep doesn't get logged. But sometimes under the exact same circumstances I wake up with it at 40%.

There are mornings when I leave my place and it's at 100%, and within 5 hours it's telling me it's down to 10%. Then there are rare times when it will get me 8-10 hours.

There is NOTHING enabled on my watch anymore due to these problems. I keep it on airplane mode ALWAYS. Every time I put it on the charger I put it into low power mode. I have cellular disabled and WIFI off. The volume is turned all the way down. The screen brightness is turned all the way down. And yet it KEEPS only lasting a few hours ever since this update!!!

The other MAJOR problem I am now having is the watch freezes half the time! It randomly wont respond to me touching the screen or side buttons. Even though it's ALWAYS next to my iPhone 13 Pro Max, I'd say at least 75% of the time I hold down the crown side button for a second so SIRI is listening, I then give it a voice command to remind me of something or whatever, it will show what I said on the screen, and then tell me SOMETHING IS WRONG AND IT DOESNT UNDERSTAND!

I cannot describe how FRUSTRATING all this is!!!

Back when the watch was new it was $800-$900. Plus I am paying $15/month for cellular service on it which I cannot even enable because of the new battery problem.

So am I being forced to buy a new watch now??

Because Apple won't let me downgrade the software back to when everything worked, now I am having to buy a new watch?? I think this is really MESSED UP.

Is anyone else having the same issues with their watch?

Oct 10, 2023 4:19 PM in response to wilhelmina35

I did follow the instructions I was sent yesterday from the community to find my controls but I still think it was stupid having to push the side button instead of just swiping up. My brother today told me he has actually hit the side button accidentally several times when moving his wrist. He got a text message asking if he had an emergency. He had to type in no and send back. Not sure why they needed to change the swipe up when it just duplicates time, weather and activity already on another screen. If anything, why not have it so users can add anything they want to that swipe up page.

Oct 29, 2023 9:38 AM in response to Litzz11

Litzz11 wrote:

Well thank you for posting this, I had the same frustration and just learned about the existence of the "Control Center" which contains all of my controls that I've been looking for. I don't know about anyone else but I absolutely HATE this change. It's so much easier to swipe on the screen than hunt around for a button. Maybe the next version will bring it back. I have zero use for the new screen.

You should let Apple know what you'd like to see here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Oct 24, 2023 9:34 AM in response to wilhelmina35

I’m very unhappy with the update as well. I don’t understand why they would change how the crown, swipe and side buttons work. It is very awkward to use now (Don’t fix what isn’t broken). It is like apple is trying to become more like a “PC” (several complicated steps to do anything, which is unfortunate because I have purchased apple products for their ease of use … in the past). Personlly, I will never use the slide up for widgets and really miss the ease of sliding up for finding my phone or to use sleep/airplane mode/theater/light. Everything I use on a regular basis, is on my watch face why would I need to slide up for it since these are things I don’t use on a regular basis. If there is a widget I need, pressing the crown had brought me there and I had no problem using it. I really don’t like the change when using imessage. Now … for some reason, I need to hit “send” at the top of the watch face instead of it sending automatically and I also miss the ease of just pressing the crown button to send the imessage when using voice. Thankfully, nothing that I’ve notice, so far, has changed with double tap for apple pay. Anyway, I am starting to feel Apple is losing sight of what made it a great product. Hopefully, they get back on track before their products and stock take a downturn.

Oct 28, 2023 8:28 PM in response to wilhelmina35

Well thank you for posting this, I had the same frustration and just learned about the existence of the "Control Center" which contains all of my controls that I've been looking for. I don't know about anyone else but I absolutely HATE this change. It's so much easier to swipe on the screen than hunt around for a button. Maybe the next version will bring it back. I have zero use for the new screen.

Sep 28, 2023 3:21 PM in response to wilhelmina35

Use Control Center on Apple Watch explains "Control Center gives you an easy way to check your battery, silence your watch, choose a Focus, turn your Apple Watch into a flashlight, put your Apple Watch in Airplane Mode, turn on theater mode, and more."

Open or close Control Center

• Open Control Center: Press the side button once.
  • Close Control Center: With Control Center open, turn your wrist away from you or press the side button again.

Oct 24, 2023 10:09 AM in response to Wickedwb

Wickedwb wrote:

I’m very unhappy with the update as well. I don’t understand why they would change how the crown, swipe and side buttons work. It is very awkward to use now (Don’t fix what isn’t broken).

Tell Apple:

Product Feedback - Apple

If there is a widget I need, pressing the crown had brought me there and I had no problem using it.

Pressing the digital crown doesn't bring up widgets. Pressing it once takes you to the apps page. Pressing it twice brings you to the App Switcher. Widgets can only be access by swiping up from the bottom of the screen.

Dec 7, 2023 6:18 AM in response to wilhelmina35

I've posted previously on this update and see everyone else is just as frustrated. Maybe someone can help me with this change: I use the second hand on my watch face a lot to set other clocks in our home "to the second". Previously when the second hand would fade out, I could tap the dial and it would reappear. Perfect. Now when I tap it, I get information, notices, alerts, blah, blah, blah that totally interfere with my need. I can't figure out a solution without extra steps. In general, this whole update is like having someone update your car by moving the pedals, dials, buttons, knobs, totally useless and frustrating. If I could roll back from this update I would. HATE is not a strong enough emotion for whoever thought these changes were useful to anyone.

Nov 24, 2023 12:51 PM in response to Ianw1960

Ianw1960 wrote:

Since the latest update I also am unable to get airplane mode, battery etc. the button under the crown does nothing at all. Tried resetting the watch and just ended up losing the watch face I had and can not find it anywhere or one that suits. Really disappointed.

Control Center

https://support.apple.com/guide/watch/control-center-apd06bc15da1/watchos

Dec 11, 2023 2:54 PM in response to kaykid

kaykid wrote:

Finally read comments below and find that pushing the "long" butter under the side button gets to the Focus/Silent screen. But cannot get rid of the weather, newsbreak, health, notifications, messages, emails. I've gone into my phone to stop notifications but it's not working for me. I've turned off "mirror phone", but still get all the notifications on my phone...When I swipe up I get the "Tips on how to set up apps". How do I remove that?? Sure miss the other set up that worked well.

Tell Apple via

Feedback - Watch - Apple

Oct 3, 2023 10:56 AM in response to clr1968

clr1968 wrote:
Same

Same...response.

Use Control Center on Apple Watch explains "Control Center gives you an easy way to check your battery, silence your watch, choose a Focus, turn your Apple Watch into a flashlight, put your Apple Watch in Airplane Mode, turn on theater mode, and more."

Open or close Control Center

• Open Control Center: Press the side button once.
  • Close Control Center: With Control Center open, turn your wrist away from you or press the side button again.

Problems with Apple Watch after updating to watchOS 10.0.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.