Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Kernel panic

My MacBook would restart every 15-20mins with a message from a software malfunction. I believe it is a kernel panic. It’s been like this for a week now and today I was in a meeting and it totally shut off. It makes a swoosh sound but my screen is completely black. It is still on but I have no way on making the screen turn on again.

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 12:34 PM

1 reply

Sep 29, 2023 8:29 PM in response to SydnieVee

See if you can get video to an external display.

If you can operate this laptop, then post several of the Kernel Panic logs here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. The Kernel Panic logs will have file names beginning with "kernel" and will be located in "/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports". If you don't see any there, then look in the "Retired" subfolder.

Also run the third party app EtreCheck and post the report here so we can examine it for clues.

My guess is you likely have a hardware issue due to the swooshing sound as I have heard that with Intel Macs when forcing a shutdown. You can try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. Unfortunately the diagnostics don't detect most failures.

Kernel panic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.