How to permanently remove the Caps Lock Blue Indicator

Hello - I just installed macOS Sonoma 14.0 and now when Caps Lock is on there is a blue indicator with white arrow...how do I permanently remove that indicator so I can avoid having to turn it off every time by clicking on the indicator then again tapping the caps lock?

Thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 7:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 4:48 AM

Most developers and CAD users use CAPS LOCK a LOT ...

... and this highly intrusive and highly annoying blue floating icon that has turned up out of the blue un-requested by anyone sucks ......

... that you can't turn if off is insanely ridiculous.

52 replies

Oct 12, 2023 5:16 AM in response to Brize

Agree completely! I can imagine what Steve Jobs' reaction would have been!

Thanks to @stephancasas at https://stackoverflow.com/questions/77248249/disable-macos-sonoma-text-insertion-point-cursor-caps-lock-indicator/77256214 I can confirm this fixes the issue.

sudo mkdir -p /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain
sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Add 'redesigned_text_cursor:Enabled' bool false" /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain/UIKit.plist

Nov 7, 2023 2:58 PM in response to rnsf66

I'm not a fan of this feature. I submitted a comment/feature request to remove it, or have the option of removing it.

A MUCH better feature would be the option to select bulk text and be able to convert it to CAPS or lower case. I work in the architecture industry. We use caps all the time. The problem is that we forget to turn it off when we're in the 'real' world, like writing emails. Since I'm a terrible typist, and I can't watch the screen when I'm typing, I often write whole paragraphs before I realize I'm still in caps. This new arrow doesn't help with that at all!

We use Sketchup Layout for drawing and design. They actually do have the Caps>lower case conversion feature. It's AWESOME. I don't know why all computers/apps/programs don't. Seems so easy.

Nov 11, 2023 2:15 PM in response to rnsf66

Many people never use the caps lock. However . . .

Have you EVER seen a legal document? Even though all caps is harder to read, REALLY IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT MUST BE READ IS WRITTEN IN ALL CAPS.

Me, I'm trying to create a costume size chart in HTML. That's all caps. It's also moving the cursor around a lot and that icon is usually right where I need to drop the cursor.

I'm sure the indicator is useful for some. Maybe it's an accessibility aid (I'm certainly no expert there). But there should be a way to turn it off.

Please don't invoke "most people" as an excuse in a case like this.

Oct 12, 2023 12:11 PM in response to ku4hx

"Most typists"? How do you determine that? Having been in business for over 45 years, will assure you that even going back to mechanical typewrites MANY businesses used ONLY Caps Lock for certain documents.

Apple OS developers need to have a re-think and make this optional in Accessibility or Keyboard settings

Oct 18, 2023 4:00 AM in response to rnsf66

"why do you suppose keyboards include a caps lock key?

-----

Because it has its legitimate uses. For instance when you're typing the long title to your doctoral thesis and the style guide tells you all caps.

Many other uses in the literary world.

The engineering/technical world generally have their own "tech specs" that require different styles. In those cases I'm familiar with, purpose built keyboards were as much a part of the program as purpose built software.

How to permanently remove the Caps Lock Blue Indicator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.