Impossibility to change File Provider path

Impossibility to change File Provider path is a big problem for me. I use Google Drive and Dropbox regularly. And now when they switch to File Provider, I can't use another drive for syncing. There are two problems:

1. Users who have a small system drive couldn't use it to work with large files. Think about video-audio production
  2. I am forced to backup everything on my 4tb drive now as I can't have the separate drive for cloud storage.

I can't understand this decision. Any good of it?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 2:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 11:06 AM

Rustam_Himadiiev wrote:

So it's up to Google and Dropbox to implement it? Thanks.

Well, yes and no. It was Apple that created this API and restricts it to the boot volume. But it was Google and Dropbox that decided to adopt Apple's new API. They didn't have to.

It's funny. When Apple publishes really useful APIs for things like font management, 3rd party developers categorically refuse to use it. But then Apple come out with an API that will substantially reduce the features that competitors can provide, effectively limiting them to Apple's own iCloud Drive behaviour, they can't wait to adopt it. Doesn't make any sense.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2023 11:06 AM in response to Rustam_Himadiiev

Rustam_Himadiiev wrote:

So it's up to Google and Dropbox to implement it? Thanks.

Well, yes and no. It was Apple that created this API and restricts it to the boot volume. But it was Google and Dropbox that decided to adopt Apple's new API. They didn't have to.

It's funny. When Apple publishes really useful APIs for things like font management, 3rd party developers categorically refuse to use it. But then Apple come out with an API that will substantially reduce the features that competitors can provide, effectively limiting them to Apple's own iCloud Drive behaviour, they can't wait to adopt it. Doesn't make any sense.

Impossibility to change File Provider path

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.