Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How to Turn Off Automatic Switch to Speaker on iPhone Calls

I have an iPhone 13 Pro, running iOS 17.0.2. When I attempt to make outgoing calls it is defaulting to speaker mode.

It only does this for outgoing calls, incoming calls behave normally. I have checked Settings>Accessibility>Touch>Call Audio Routing, which is set to "Automatic".

I have an Apple Watch, which is set to mirror the iPhone for calls.

Is there any way to resolve this?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 7:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2024 5:00 AM

My setting is correct. It's on automatic. Still whenever I make an outgoing call the speaker is on by default and I end up hitting my ear.

16 replies

Oct 5, 2023 8:01 AM in response to ThomasDalby

Hey there ThomasDalby,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We'll be happy to help with phone calls. The correct place to adjust this feature is located under: Settings > Accessibility > Touch > Call Audio Routing.

Once you're there, check to make sure "Speaker" isn't selected. If it is, choose "Automatic". Test to see if calls route as expected.

Take care

Apr 18, 2024 9:06 PM in response to ThomasDalby

Despite trying all suggested troubleshooting options, I am still encountering this issue where all incoming and outgoing calls are automatically routed to the speakerphone. This problem persists even after attempting the following steps:

• Restarting the iPhone

• Checking and adjusting call audio settings

• Resetting all settings to default.

Device- 15 Pro Max. iOS- 17.4.1

How to Turn Off Automatic Switch to Speaker on iPhone Calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.