iPhone Pro call sound issue post iOS 16.7 update

I can only hear my calls on speaker. I have a 12 Pro. I tried all the YouTube stuff, but still no phone call sound without the speaker. Recently updated to 16.7

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 4:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2023 3:59 PM

i’m having trouble hearing anything unless I put my speakerphone on

71 replies

Jan 4, 2024 1:19 PM in response to Benz1959

I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max. I am running the latest software iOS 17.1.2 but have been having this problem since even before the update. I always have to be on speaker. Ear pods work but I cannot hold the phone to my ear & hear. I called support & they did some trouble shooting with no luck. Didn't want to deal with Apple Store & now have to go out of town before I can go in. If I could fix on my own it would be great.

Oct 5, 2023 4:28 AM in response to Benz1959

Hi there,

Please try this

1. Remove all screen protectors, films, or cases from your device. 
  2. Check the speaker opening to see if it's blocked or dirty. On iPhone only, make sure that the receiver isn't blocked or dirty. 
  3. If necessary, clean the speaker or receiver opening with a small, soft-bristled brush. Make sure that the brush is clean and dry.
  4. Go to Settings > Sounds (or Settings > Sounds & Haptics), and drag the Ringer and Alerts slider back and forth a few times. If you don't hear any sound, or if your speaker button on the Ringer and Alerts slider is dimmed, your speaker might need service.
  5. If you hear sound, try making a call with your iPhone and turn on speakerphone. On iPad or iPod touch, make a FaceTime call. If you still can't hear, or hear static or crackling, then your network or reception could be the issue. Try to call again later, or from a different location.

If this is not working  contact Apple Support to discuss service options.

iPhone Pro call sound issue post iOS 16.7 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.