You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 15 pro max nfc payment not working

I have Iphone 15 pro max. I am trying to pay from cards attached in my wallet but after double tapping the phone is saying place nearby and suddenly the wallet application is freezing. Did anyone else experience this?

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 12:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2023 6:25 AM

I have the same issue with Apple Pay. My Apple Pay is not working and i went through with Apple support troubleshooting 3 times with no use. I have updated it to the latest update (17.1.1) but the issue is still there.

18 replies

Nov 18, 2023 2:48 PM in response to sarkiskhatcherian

Hello, if someone from apple is monitoring this chat please help. I opened a case number when through all the diagnostics e everything checks out. Even did a factory reset. NFC still not working for Apple Pay or for my Diabetes Freestyle Libre 2 this is life crucial for me. I saw below some people are getting a new phone light if this can I be sent one as well please ??!

Feb 21, 2024 1:04 PM in response to sarkiskhatcherian

Same issue here. Never worked in the 2 months I’ve had it. Took it to an apple reseller as arranged by Apple, they got an NFC detector which of course did the first bit but still my phone said “hold near reader” after detecting an NFC receiver. They then said that proved it worked okay and the store assistant showed me her phone doing the same. I just told them “but it doesnt work, I can’t make a payment” They took the phone off me and took it upstairs where they said they would do an NFC reset (whatever that is, or is it even a thing?) and then told me to go try buy something in a store. On my return after it didn’t work they said there is no fault to be found. I said “but it doesn’t work, there must be something wrong with your diagnostics”. And they just said there is nothing they can do. Very frustrated.

Jun 5, 2024 1:33 PM in response to sarkiskhatcherian

Hi, guys, let me briefly describe my experience, maybe it will help: since my 15pro works well with only around 20% of nfc readers, I went through all the diagnostic procedures with Apple customer care, no issues were detected, same with Apple service center in my town. The Apple support team asked me for further observation to see what can be done. Upon my closer look it appeared that my iPhone nfc works fine with all the terminals that support ApplePay, other ones simply seem to have incompatible software. Maybe I am wrong though, simply my opinion here. Hopefully it will be fixed in future, for now payment with my Apple Watch is an interim solution.

Oct 7, 2023 7:23 AM in response to sarkiskhatcherian

Hello Sarkiskhatcherian,

We understand that the Wallet app is not working as expected and we'd like to provide you with a few steps that may help to resolve this issue:

1. "Close and reopen the app

Force the app to close. Then open the app to see if it works as expected.

2. Restart your device

Restart your iPhone or restart your iPad. Then open the app to see if it works as expected.

3. Check for updates

To see if updates are available for the app, open the App Store, tap your profile icon, then scroll down to see if updates are available. If updates aren't available for the app, update the software on your iPhone or iPad.

4. Delete the app, then redownload it

Delete the app. When you do this, you might lose data that was stored in the app. Then redownload the app. Then check to see if the problem with the app is fixed."

More details here: If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities.

Take care.

Jun 19, 2024 10:20 AM in response to sarkiskhatcherian

I have been having the same issues as well. Apple 15 Pro not working on some readers such as grocery stores, etc. Very disappointing as I use my Apple Card on it and cannot use it except the Apple Store or another dedicated system for Apple Pay. I am not sure if there will be a fix for this or not and the Apple Store was helpful, but they did not know what to do either. My 14 Pro was fine, I wish I still had it.

Jun 19, 2024 10:36 AM in response to frankerdopp

Merchant credit card transactions go through a GateWay and if the gateway doesn’t support Apple Pay, transactions won’t process. The same is true for specific Payment Network Operators (MasterCard, Visa, American Express etc.) if the merchant doesn’t support them. Merchants can even exclude certain banks using the BIN number associated with the card. In some instances even the case interferes with the NFC reader.

I wouldn’t rule out a hardware issue, but it would be extremely rare to have a hardware issue at some merchants and the hardware fixes itself at the next merchant. Apple can do remote diagnostics of the NFC module.

iphone 15 pro max nfc payment not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.