Macbook won't lock laptop when I close the lid

Started after I upgraded to macOS 14. When I close the lid of the laptop and leave it for a couple hours, it's not locked when I open the lid. Seems like a pretty big security flaw...

Not sure if the laptop stays on or not though, battery settings shows no battery usage for the 6-7 hours it was closed.

MBP 14" 2021

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 1:14 PM

4 replies

Oct 12, 2023 11:48 PM in response to bavman

I'm having a similar issue. Most of the time, shutting the lid puts my MacBook Pro 2020 to sleep. But sometimes, it doesn't. Today I came back after the lid had been shut for over eight hours and the screen wasn't locked when I opened it.

I'm running Sonoma, 14.0

The MacBook was on mains power until just before I shut the lid, and was left untouched until I opened it this evening. Although the battery showed no drain, the screen was unlocked.

Oct 12, 2023 11:54 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

I did check that; it is set to 'immediately'. I noticed that if I close the lid very slowly, I can't see the screen turn off.

I ended up rebooting to see if that would work, and surprisingly it took care of the issue. Now if I try to close the screen slowly, once it gets to about 1 inch open, I can see the screen go dark and it will be locked when I open the lid again.

Haven't been able to recreate this issue now.

Oct 13, 2023 2:44 PM in response to an_piobaire

This has happened again overnight. From looking at the output of pmset -g logs and the install.log file, I think that my MacBook is actually sleeping:

2023-10-13 22:24:04+13 Noels-MacBook-Pro softwareupdated[524]: SUOSUPowerEventObserver: System will sleep

2023-10-13 22:24:04+13 Noels-MacBook-Pro SoftwareUpdateNotificationManager[960]: SUOSUPowerEventObserver: System will sleep

2023-10-14 09:46:29+13 Noels-MacBook-Pro SoftwareUpdateNotificationManager[960]: SUOSUPowerEventObserver: System will power on

2023-10-14 09:46:29+13 Noels-MacBook-Pro softwareupdated[524]: SUOSUPowerEventObserver: System will power on

This clearly shows the laptop going to sleep in the night and then waking up in the morning.

But for some reason the screen is never locked even though the settings clearly state that it should be.

Macbook won't lock laptop when I close the lid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.