You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How can I change the default alarm sound when I ask Siri to make an alarm for me?

Another user ID: hareza on 02/14/2023, asked a similar question and was answered that whatever sound she last set will be the default for the next time until she changes it. Not with my iPhone 12. When exploring my iPhone12 I came to a screen that offered me to change my default sound to whatever I want and foolishly

(I might have been drunk) chose the dog bark. So now when I ask Siri to set an alarm for me it is now always the dog bark. I regret this. How can I change my default alarm sound? Please.

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 3:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 5:29 PM

I have an iphone 14 pro max. And I am trying to change the DEFAULT sound on my alarm. The current default is “Radar”. I have a personal song I want to use as the default…PERMANENTLY. I am able to change the alarm to my song every time I set a new alarm. However, it defaults to “Radar”. I want it to default to my chosen song…and it won’t. If I leave that alarm on, my song stays. But I always need new alarms on differing days/times.

Is there a way (in settings) to permanently change the DEFAULT alarm to a personal song??

40 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 12, 2023 5:29 PM in response to Brittany1416

I have an iphone 14 pro max. And I am trying to change the DEFAULT sound on my alarm. The current default is “Radar”. I have a personal song I want to use as the default…PERMANENTLY. I am able to change the alarm to my song every time I set a new alarm. However, it defaults to “Radar”. I want it to default to my chosen song…and it won’t. If I leave that alarm on, my song stays. But I always need new alarms on differing days/times.

Is there a way (in settings) to permanently change the DEFAULT alarm to a personal song??

Jan 23, 2024 8:18 PM in response to arner737

I see there was an IOS update today to 17.3.

Sadly Apple is completely ignoring this issue that is annoying everyfricken body.

All they have to do is add an entry under SOUND & HAPTICS to specify the default for Alarm tone.

The default Radial is the worst piece of **** tone for me. I am hearing impaired and I do NOT HEAR the RADIAL tone at all, so it's completely ineffective as an ALARM TONE. Yes, I am angry and disappointed in APPLE.

Dec 2, 2023 11:44 AM in response to Sirinotworkib

I'm having the IDENTICAL problem since the most recent update. I ALWAYS had a certain tone for my clock alarms. Every thread I've checked has NOT had a correct way to change the default. It shows a certain tone with (DEFAULT) beside it. No way to change it there. Created a new alarm, changed the tone to what I wanted and THAT tone worked. Added another alarm and it kept the **** default sound. I CAN NOT FIND WHERE THE **** WE CHANGE THE DEFAULT ALARM TONE!!!!

Jan 17, 2024 11:08 AM in response to Big_Caf

Dear Apple: it’s a GLITCH in the system! The clock alarm will default to your choice if you set it MANUALLY. BUT…. If we use SIRI to create a new alarm it defaults to another annoying alarm that we cannot change (in my case it’s the classic “Boing” sound which I hate!!!!). So now I have to manually set every alarm, which is a pain in the butt because I use several alarms per day on the fly. APPLE PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!I love iPhone but good god there are so many glitches as Apple tries to improve everything every day and it’s overkill!! Just leave well enough alone, Apple!

Jan 20, 2024 6:41 AM in response to arner737

I’m having the same problem. Every time I set a new alarm the app defaults to Radial. Apple really screwed this up. I usually have Siri set an alarm for me so it’s not convenient to open the app and manually change the tone.

However, I found sort of a workaround. I had Siri set a bunch of alarms then manually changed them. If you simply Stop an alarm it’s still there “shut off”. Then tell Siri “activate my 5:30 AM alarm” Siri turns it on with the tone previously used. The default isn’t changed.

It’s ridiculous that Apple screwed this up. The airheard who imposed an unchangeable default should be fired.

In my opinion it’s a crappy default. Unpleasant and annoying.

Jan 24, 2024 8:27 AM in response to arner737

After exhaustive study and hours on the phone with Apple--who were useless--I figured out this:

Set an alarm MANUALLY. Specify the SOUND value you want. SAVE. Now all MANUALLY created alarms will use that sound (assuming, of course, you don't again change it).

1. that default is only used when setting the alarm manually.
  2. that default is not displayed ANYWHERE (other than in the alarm you just created).
  3. Undocumented advanced stuff:

a. You can NAME an alarm

b. You can CHANGE an alarm: Hey siri, "change alarm JOE to 15 hundred" (I use military time to avoid ambiguity). (Hey sir, "change alarm JOE to 3 p.m." is the same.)

c. You CAN NOT specify a sound using siri.

"hey, siri. Set alarm 10:15 am sound Ripple" will create an alarm with the NAME

"sound ripple".

"hey siri. Set alarm 10:15 am name Joe1" creates alarm NAMED JOE1 (using the default sound--that is, the one used when you last MANUALLY created an alarm).

suggestion

Manually create a few alarms, names something like JOE1, JOE2, JOE3.... You won't need any more than the number of alarm you want SIMULTANEOUSLY set.

Now, each time you want to set an alarm with SIRI, say "Hey, siri. CHANGE ALARM JOE3 to 4:35 p.m." This changes alarm JOE3 ****WITHOUT*** changing it's sound!!!

After JOE3 goes off, you can just change it again.

Voila! (I hate workarounds, but this is what we're left with. Thx APPLE.)

Summary: Basically, the problem is not ALARM, but SIRI. Setting an alarm using SIRI uses default sound. In my case it is RADIAL. HOWEVER, I can not find RADIAL listed as a sound ANYWHERE in any sound or ringtone SETTING I have.

Joe P

Jan 17, 2024 12:48 AM in response to Big_Caf

Yes, in order to use the sound you want you have to manually set the alarm which is a pain in the butt.

Apple, we need a way to be able to change the default alarm tone just like we can change the default for Ringtone and we can change the default for text tone. We need to be able to change the default for the alarm tone thank you Apple. Then this thread will be closed and your customers will be happy.

Tim

Oct 9, 2023 3:05 PM in response to arner737

Hi arner737,

You can change the alarm by using the process outlined in this link, which may be helpful: How to set and change alarms on your iPhone

How to set an alarm

1. Open the Clock app, then tap the Alarm tab.
2. Tap the Add button .
3. Set a time for the alarm. You can also choose one of these options:

* Repeat: Tap to set up a recurring alarm.
* Label: Tap to name your alarm.
* Sound: Tap to pick a sound that plays when the alarm sounds.
* Snooze: Turn on to see a Snooze option when the alarm sounds.

4. Tap Save.

After saving that alarm, new alarms that are set should have the sound you selected.

Thanks!

Jan 30, 2024 12:48 PM in response to joefiesta

You cannot count on anybody meaningful from Apple reading entries in this user-to-user forum. If you want to reach somebody at Apple who will actually read your words, send them through Product Feedback - Apple (choosing an appropriate topic for your subject). Don't expect a direct response, but we have been assured that they have people assigned to read and weigh comments posted there.

How can I change the default alarm sound when I ask Siri to make an alarm for me?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.