Outline shapes in iphoto

what happened to the outline shapes in iphoto —now they are opaque and no longer outlines. If I want to make a nice circle or rectangle around a word, I can no longer do it.

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 6:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2023 5:09 PM

Taking away the Outline default shape, without question has to be the worst update to the Edit feature within the Photos app. I understand that you can draw an outline quickly with your finger, while keeping pressed down on the screen, and it will create an outline....BUT you cannot the edit the color or size of this outline...or move it to a more specific outline location on the photo. And to select the outline within the "Shapes" feature, involves several more insane steps of selecting outline color, then Opacity...and then still not certain as to which one is which. I cannot comprehend why and Outline shape was replaced with a completely filled in square or rectangle. Why not just have the Outline shape, as a Default shape?? Or it at least allow us to Customize one and/or Save that as our Favorite shapes???

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2023 5:09 PM in response to CMcGOOO

Taking away the Outline default shape, without question has to be the worst update to the Edit feature within the Photos app. I understand that you can draw an outline quickly with your finger, while keeping pressed down on the screen, and it will create an outline....BUT you cannot the edit the color or size of this outline...or move it to a more specific outline location on the photo. And to select the outline within the "Shapes" feature, involves several more insane steps of selecting outline color, then Opacity...and then still not certain as to which one is which. I cannot comprehend why and Outline shape was replaced with a completely filled in square or rectangle. Why not just have the Outline shape, as a Default shape?? Or it at least allow us to Customize one and/or Save that as our Favorite shapes???

Nov 20, 2023 4:36 PM in response to timdifferent

It used to be a LOT easier to make a simple rectangular 'outline' - to say, make a rectangle around something one wants to highlight. One also used to be able to make an arrow point in any direction one wanted. Now that appears to be impossible, or if it's possible, Apple doesn't make it easy anymore.

Why have you made it more difficult to make simple outlines and arrows..???

Nov 26, 2023 8:43 PM in response to Gvaldes10

I am unable to get shapes inMarkup feature in photos that are not all black and obliterate the feature i had the shape over. Any ideas? Why does Apple make things more complex everytime they do an update. I held back on installing it because i knew it was going to create a problem somewhere. It sure has. So frustrated. Repeat- the Markup feature now has shapes that blockout ( dark grey or black) and coverup the area you want identified by an opaque shape on a photo.

Oct 8, 2023 6:56 PM in response to Gvaldes10

It is still possible to add circle and rectangular outlines to images in the Photos app on iOS using the Markup feature.

Tap Edit, then tap the pen icon in the top right to begin Markup. Tap the “+” button on the right side of the tool selector, then tap “Add Shape” to select and insert a shape. You can then edit the shape, including its fill color, at the bottom of your screen. Make the fill color transparent to turn the shape into an outline.

The faster way to add an outline shape to your image is to use any of the drawing tools to draw a circle or square around something in the photo. Once you’ve drawn the circle or square, keep your finger or Apple Pencil on the screen; your drawing should automatically be converted into the shape it determined you were trying to draw.

For help with Markup on Mac, see the following support article: Use Markup to write or draw on a photo in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Dec 22, 2023 1:49 AM in response to Gvaldes10

It is still possible to do it on an iPhone. The problem is, that Apple has moved the controls and forgot to put labels below the controls. Initially they will look all the same.

When you add a shape, there are four circles below the picture.

From left to right:

1. The circle to the left lets you pick the colour and the transparency of the border.
  2. The second circle determines the thickness of the border.
  3. The third circle controls the color of the interior of the shape. Set its transparency slider to zero for an empty shape.
  4. The rightmost circle determines the overall transparency.

Dec 31, 2023 9:21 AM in response to Gvaldes10

I have figured this out on my iPhone. It is definitely overly complicated and confusing… but after adding a shape you will see the four buttons to modify it along the bottom. The right most button controls the opacity of the WHOLE SHAPE. You cannot set this to 0 or the whole thing disappears. The third button controls the color and opacity of the shape fill. Click this one to set the fill opacity to 0. You can then use the other two buttons to the left to set the size and color of the line.

Jan 21, 2024 11:56 AM in response to Walt_Whitman

Walt, you tap "Edit" at upper right of the iPhone display, when you are viewing a photo enlarged on iOS 17. It has to be a regular photo, not a Live Photo. For special media kinds the controls are different.

Once in edit mode open the markup tool (with the pen icon) as described by timdifferent in this post: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255189852?answerId=259652967022&sortBy=oldest_first#259652967022

Jan 28, 2024 4:58 PM in response to timdifferent

Thank you so much. The advice about drawing the shape then holding my finger on it so it “rounds out” worked beautifully. I drew a lopsided oval, contunued to hold my finger on it, and the tool made it perfect. I agree with everybody else out there — no thanks to iOS for screwing up the drawing tools. Like, who needs to plop an opaque blob on a photo? However you solved my very frustrating (like for two months) problem. Thanks.

Outline shapes in iphoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.