Cannot turn off login password on older macbook pro retina early 2013 Mojave 10.14.6

i have a newer macbook pro now but once in a while go back to my older macbook pro retina. It works but is of course very slow. Sometimes, it gets stuck on the login password, then it takes forever to get going. I tried everything possible on Google to figure out how to turn off my password when i login, nothing works. System preferences, firevault, disable login, screen lock, it keeps showing when i turn it on. Any other suggestions? I remember once someone told me there was another option to turn the login password off, but i forgot. I would really appreciate your help! Anita

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 6:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 6:21 PM

The password login is not slowing down the system. Either you have an issue with some third party installed software, or more likely the hard drive on the older Mac is failing. You can check the health of the hard drive by running DriveDx and posting the complete text report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. To look for possible software issues, run the third party app EtreCheck and post the report here so we can examine it for clues.

Requiring the password when logging in prevents most people from being able to use your computer & accessing your data, plus having to type the password will help you remember it since a password is required to make any changes to your computer's settings/preferences.

If you have Filevault enabled, then you cannot disable the password when logging in unless you disable Filevault (not recommended since your data will be exposed to anyone who has physical access to the computer). If Filevault is not enabled, then you just need to go to the "Login" options in the "Users & Groups" System Preferences. You will first need to click the padlock to unlock the System Preferences in order to modify the setting. You will see an option in the top right pane "Automatic Login" where you can choose "On".

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2023 6:21 PM in response to anitaandjoe

The password login is not slowing down the system. Either you have an issue with some third party installed software, or more likely the hard drive on the older Mac is failing. You can check the health of the hard drive by running DriveDx and posting the complete text report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. To look for possible software issues, run the third party app EtreCheck and post the report here so we can examine it for clues.

Requiring the password when logging in prevents most people from being able to use your computer & accessing your data, plus having to type the password will help you remember it since a password is required to make any changes to your computer's settings/preferences.

If you have Filevault enabled, then you cannot disable the password when logging in unless you disable Filevault (not recommended since your data will be exposed to anyone who has physical access to the computer). If Filevault is not enabled, then you just need to go to the "Login" options in the "Users & Groups" System Preferences. You will first need to click the padlock to unlock the System Preferences in order to modify the setting. You will see an option in the top right pane "Automatic Login" where you can choose "On".

Oct 10, 2023 6:55 PM in response to HWTech

Thank you soooo very much for your quick reply. I actually do have login passwords on all my devices and firevault on in my newer computer, it was just that one that i wanted it off. I hardly use it.

I was able to do the automatic login, thanks so much. But i certainly appreciate what you said about the password login not being the cause for the slow down, i didn't know that.

And so, when i have a chance, i will check the drive x and Etrecheck. I do want to keep this older mac for a while also.

Again, thanks so much!

Anita

Cannot turn off login password on older macbook pro retina early 2013 Mojave 10.14.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.