Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Error code -36 for any copy-pasting of folders

I am getting Error code -36 (The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "" can't be read or written) whenever I try to copy and paste any folder. It seems to be happening for all folders.

I can copy-paste using the terminal but obviously don't want to use this because of the risk of overwriting files.

Additionally zip/unzip isn't working.

System:

macOS Monterey 12.5.1 (2022)

Apple M2

16GB RAM

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Oct 11, 2023 6:33 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Oct 12, 2023 7:54 AM in response to alisonappeared

Hello Alisonappeared,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities. We'd like to provide you with a few additional steps that may be able to correct this behavior.

1. Restart your Mac. This May seem like a simple steps to take but can refresh your Mac and the software.

On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Restart.

2. Start up your Mac in safe mode. Completing this step can help you identify whether issues you’re experiencing are caused by software that loads as your Mac starts up. Your screen may flash and load slower. This is expected behavior for this mode. Use safe mode on your Mac

3. Verify if the issue occurs in a new user account. This will allow you to determine if the behavior is specific to your account or if it is a system wide issue: Add a user or group on Mac

Let us know if this helps.

All the best.

Error code -36 for any copy-pasting of folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.