Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Poor sound quality in my car

Hi everyone,

When I connect my iPhone 14 Pro to my car the quality of the music isn't super good and I have to boost the volume to get better quality. I've tried both Bluetooth and USB and no difference.

I just tried with an old Samsung Galaxy S7 and it's a plug and play! The sound is loud and clear and I don't need to adujst anything like my iPhone. Also, both devices runs the latest OS version and latest Apple Music app.

Any idea what could cause this ? Many iPhone users around me also experienced this situation. Any help would be appreciated.

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 1:11 PM

Hello HPDV6700,

Sound Check is an audio normalization feature that adjusts songs so they playback at the same relative volume. This resource has more details, for reference: If music in Apple Music sounds quiet - Apple Support

Take care.

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 13, 2023 12:01 PM in response to HPDV6700

Hello HPDV6700,

Let's use the steps below to make sure that your iPhone is up to date: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

1. Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
2. Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
3. Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
4. If you see more than one software update option available, choose the one that you want to install.
5. Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do.

If your iPhone is all up to date, let's restart: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

1. Press and hold either volume button and the side button until the power-off slider appears.
The volume button is located on the left side of the device, and the side button is located on the right
2. Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.
3. To turn your device back on, press and hold the side button (on the right side of your iPhone) until you see the Apple logo.

Updating and restarting can sometimes help address odd behaviors.

Should that still persist, have you had the chance to test your iPhone with other vehicles, Bluetooth speakers or audio devices? If so, did you experience the same behavior?

Let us know, and we'll keep moving forward based on your results.

Oct 26, 2023 12:56 PM in response to chuckbl

Honestly this process isn't appropriate for this issue as I had an iPhone 13 Pro Max, and recently changed for an iPhone 14 Pro and both sounds terrible in the car compared to other smartphones.

HOWEVER, after searching through the thousands and thousands of options, I found what causes the bad sound quality. When you go to the settings and go under Music, there's an option called "Sound Check" and by disabling it, the sound quality changes. It's louder and clearer.

But, I also found out that on other type of devices, like a Bluetooth speaker, it sometimes sound bad if the "Sound Check" option is disabled.

I'm not too sure what "Sound Check" does in reality, but it really got my nerves. 😄

Poor sound quality in my car

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.