Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

DAYLITE EXTENSION CRASH APPLEMAIL SONOMA 14

Sonoma Apple Mail now uses extensions and vendors who supply enhanced functions to work with Mail now supply an extension.

Daylite is a CRM application that provides an extension for AppleMail.

Running Sonoma 14, mail crashes on startup with extension enabled. Also does this in safe mode. Crashes occur when idle but once they occur then AppleMail crashes on startup continuously until disabled.

Does anyone have experience with this?

The vendor is MarketCircle and they have looked at the crash logs generated by the system and say that Apple is mishandling the extension and needs to look into it.

I have talked to Apple support...we did a Safe Model restart and then recommended I replace the OS.

I will do that now.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 4:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2023 12:49 AM

I am another Mail Extension Dev and I can tell you that Daylite extension is not responsible in the crash, Mail is...

The issue is in the way Mail handles incoming e-mails and executes extensions.

You could try the sample extension provided by Apple (Build Mail App Extensions | Apple Developer Documentation) for demonstrating Mail Extensions, and you would experiment the same crashes. So it's definitely not the responsibility of Market Circle...

Most of all Mail extensions developers have reported bugs to Apple, so far we had no feedback.

Complain to Apple and keep report crashes, that may help...

Similar questions

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2023 12:49 AM in response to Mitchell Smith

I am another Mail Extension Dev and I can tell you that Daylite extension is not responsible in the crash, Mail is...

The issue is in the way Mail handles incoming e-mails and executes extensions.

You could try the sample extension provided by Apple (Build Mail App Extensions | Apple Developer Documentation) for demonstrating Mail Extensions, and you would experiment the same crashes. So it's definitely not the responsibility of Market Circle...

Most of all Mail extensions developers have reported bugs to Apple, so far we had no feedback.

Complain to Apple and keep report crashes, that may help...

Apr 23, 2024 2:30 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

so you are saying DAYLITE KNOWS they have an issue?

No, they're saying that they know that **APPLE MAIL HAS ISSUES** with its massive amounts of bugs, and *that's* why developers are advising users against upgrading to the productivity-draining cluster---k known as macOS Sonoma!

There's a running joke among developers that the MailKit extension functionality done in Mail was some intern's pet project, and with them long gone, no one else at Apple knows (or, obviously, cares) anything about it and why it's gone unfixed for SO LONG.

Apparently, some bugs are so bad that not even a 1st year CS student would make such mistakes. Here's but a sample of the types of bugs that were made publicly; many more have been submitted to Apple directly but not visible to the public (gee, wonder why).

The fact it's TAKEN APPLE OVER 2 YEARS TO START FIXING THESE BUGS gives all this more the feel of a high school summer coding camp than that of a trillion dollar company.

P.S. why is it that only posters with 100K+ "points" arrogantly blame developers as being at fault?? I guess the higher the point count = the more prolific the trolls.

Nov 25, 2023 1:31 PM in response to emmanuel.sellier

I concur. I have been developing applications for Mac for over two decades. I have used Daylite for almost that long. MarketCircle is an excellent company with a long track record of solid engineering. Apple is as well, but sometimes new features, like the new extension model, need adjustment for issues only found "in the wild". Apple needs to get to the bottom of the open issues as soon as possible.

I hope this is resolved quickly.

Oct 13, 2023 7:09 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Market Circle did the responsible thing...they contacted Apple Support and showed them the problem. Apple is looking into it. Not all extension problems are vendor problems neither are all extension problems Apple problems. To assume that any third party extension is automatically broken is not a good assumption. Apple issues rules and guidelines about how to make extensions compatible to Sonoma. Prior to Sonoma all 3rd party functionalities were add-ons and with Sonoma came changes that all software vendors had to adapt to. The rules and guidelines helped them to do that. But Market Circle found what they believe to be an instance where Apple Sonoma is not acting as expected relative to the extension. Only cooperation between parties can solve such a problem and I'm sure Apple and Market Circle will provide that.

Dec 6, 2023 7:38 AM in response to sfb71

Deactivate Mail Extensions over System Settings

Choose Apple menu > System Settings, click Privacy & Security in the sidebar, then click Extensions on the right. (You may need to scroll down.)

Click Added extensions, then Disable the checkbox by com.apple.email.extension.

And report the issue via Feedback - Mail - Apple or mail-app-extensions@apple.com. As you can see the Mail team didn't even bother to put the correct name here, just it just reads com.apple.email.extension.

Oct 13, 2023 7:34 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I had stated in my earlier post, "The vendor is MarketCircle and they have looked at the crash logs generated by the system and say that Apple is mishandling the extension and needs to look into it." They have worked extensively with me and examined the crash logs for this issue and stated that in their opinion the apple Sonoma software is mishandling the extension.

Oct 13, 2023 7:41 AM in response to Sorcerer2006

Sorcerer2006 wrote:

I had stated in my earlier post, "The vendor is MarketCircle and they have looked at the crash logs generated by the system and say that Apple is mishandling the extension and needs to look into it." They have worked extensively with me and examined the crash logs for this issue and stated that in their opinion the apple Sonoma software is mishandling the extension.

It is MarketCircle's responsibility to make an extension that works with Mail. If it doesn't work, they need to fix it. It sounds as if they are not interested in doing that. Not much to be done in that case. Apple is not going to rewrite Mail to accommodate one extension.

Best of luck.

Nov 5, 2023 9:53 AM in response to Sorcerer2006

I'm only using two extensions: SpamSieve and Daylite. I disabled the Daylite extension and waited a week. Mail worked normally during that time, but I never launched the Daylite application. After a week, I launched Daylite on my Mac running 14.0, and a week later, everything is still working, including Mail.

I never disabled the SpamSieve extension. As much as Marketcircle suggests disabling spam filtering, I haven't found that to be the issue. The issue is Marketcircle's Daylite extension.

Nov 5, 2023 11:52 AM in response to Mitchell Smith

I think you may have mis-read this....the problem description is "apple mail crashes" and it only happens with Daylite Mail Assistant extension enabled. With it disabled, the problem does not occur.

With Sonoma, all developers like Market Circle were forced to switch to Extensions by Apple. Everyone with a mail add-on had to develop an extension instead. Some of those extensions are having the same problem as the Daylite Extension.

Having reported this to Apple and finding there was not fix with Sonoma 14.1 update, we're trying to find out the status.

Nov 5, 2023 3:20 PM in response to Sorcerer2006

I did not misread the issue. Apple had you reinstall. Daylite says to stop using junk mail filtering. Both are incorrect.

As I noted above, SpamSieve works just fine, so it’s not a problem with all extensions.

Mail stopped crashing once I disabled the Daylite extension. I’m just adding more evidence that disabling the extension solves the issue.

Daylite charges an outrageous amount for their monthly subscription, and no longer allows self-hosting so they can pick their customers’ pockets. And what do we get? More stable software? Nope. Software which crashes Mail.

Dec 6, 2023 8:21 AM in response to Sorcerer2006

Market Circle has issued an update to all users and they have not seen a response from Apple yet in terms of working with them on the issue. They report that the expectations for any extension is that it cannot and will not crash the Mail application. So they're provided information to Apple and offering to cooperate and collaborate as needed. As Apple is the expert in their extension handling software, they should be able to point out what Market Circle did wrong and should do to fix that problem.

Meanwhile Market Circle is exploring an Outlook Solution and has recommended that users who have not upgraded to Sonoma wait to do so.

DAYLITE EXTENSION CRASH APPLEMAIL SONOMA 14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.