Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Turn off in-line predictive text but keep predictive suggestions.

New as of iOS 17 I have a new “feature” of predictive text appearing in line with what I’m typing, and blocking me from backspacing if I mistyped a letter. Worse, in text input fields that block me from exceeding a character limit, it traps me on that word that it wants to suggest.

iPhone 5s, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 7:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2023 11:27 AM

I, too, was extremely annoyed by this issue and I think I figured it out. Settings > Accessibility. Under "Physical and Motor," choose "Switch Control." Under "Keyboard," toggle off "Extended Predictions." This seems to remove the in-line predictions yet still gives you the three word options/emojis under the text.

68 replies

Nov 3, 2023 10:31 AM in response to faith185

The issue with this new feature is that if I am finished with my word, and I want to continue my sentence, I click space and the phone automatically accepts this longer word that I was never going to type out. For example, I wanted to type “my brain hurts from the cold that luke gave me” and my phone changed “luke” into “lukewarm.” I don’t have autocorrect on. I want the text options to appear like they used to without changing what I’m typing.

Dec 13, 2023 10:15 AM in response to FalconicKatadora

It's fixed! To confirm what Ælfwyn said - iOS 17.2 now has a feature to discretely manage inline predictive text and the predictive text above the keyboard. Go to settings > general > keyboards and deselect Show Predictions Inline. As long as you are on 17.2 you should have this option.

This was really bugging me, too. Thanks for the update, Apple!

Dec 2, 2023 10:03 AM in response to faith185

This is [d]ucking ridiculous and it should be the opposite: tap to accept inline prediction and space bar to type a space in a [d]ucking sentence.

It completely fumbles my typing flow to have predictive text off and thus be unable to use the predictive text panel.

The space bar is to add a space to a sentence, not type a [d]ucking word. If you want to use inline predictions, then they should be tapped just the same as the text panel is to accept a predicted text.

Who thought this was a good idea?

Nov 27, 2023 9:56 PM in response to FalconicKatadora

No, the “solution” provided by the representative does not work.

Please separate the in-line predictive text from the three predictive suggestions provided above the keyboard. It’s very jarring for neurodivergent. It’s not helpful. If I want the word, I. Will. Pick. It. From. The. List.

I don’t need or want predictive text in my typing field. It’s distracting, annoying to fix, and a waste of time fixing ‘auto filled’ words that didn’t need to be autofilled.

I really hope you add an option to turn off just the in-line predictive text feature and leave the list alone.

There was another solution that was listed that wasn’t from your ‘customer service representative’. It didn’t work but it was a much better answer as they understood what the person above was asking.

Nov 21, 2023 10:38 AM in response to bruno75

No the answer to their question was not provided. Everyone wants to know how to turn off the in-line predictive text but KEEP the suggest text boxes. The in-line predictive text is basically autocorrect and should be disabled when i disable auto-correct but unfortunately i have to disable a feature I actually liked in order to get rid on the "in-line predictive text" aka the unwanted autocorrect that no one asked for.

Dec 18, 2023 5:33 AM in response to bchuras

bchuras, I have never created a post on this website, nor did I ever expect to, but I need to reply with the biggest, most meaningful "THANK YOU!!" I've ever felt like giving. This by far is the most annoying Apple feature that's come to play, and not knowing how to turn it off but keep the 3 recommendations was quite literally driving me insane. I'd give you a gift card if I knew you in person. Thank you so much

Turn off in-line predictive text but keep predictive suggestions.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.