Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iPhone 15 Pro Max black screen

My phone has gone black while charging the last two nights. It will ring, sounds can be heard but the screen will not wake up. Had to press/release the volume up & down button then the on button to turn it back on. The phone works fine all during the day. What’s causing this?!?

Chromecast,

Posted on Oct 15, 2023 5:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 4:54 AM

Happening to me too! I just got my 15 pro max phone a little over a week ago. I’m on vacation in New Orleans…woke up this morning after using my apple mag safe charger overnight to a black screen!! Woke up my husband after trying everything to figure it out. His 15 (not pro max) was on his Apple MagSafe charger all night and his is fine! We could feel the vibrations on my phone so knew it was on but the screen was pitch black. I ended up doing a reset using the volume up, down and holding power button til it reset and came back on. When is this being fixed?? When we get back home, do I need to go to an Apple Store and exchange this phone now?! Ugghhh. So frustrating.

232 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2023 4:54 AM in response to lachaunia

Happening to me too! I just got my 15 pro max phone a little over a week ago. I’m on vacation in New Orleans…woke up this morning after using my apple mag safe charger overnight to a black screen!! Woke up my husband after trying everything to figure it out. His 15 (not pro max) was on his Apple MagSafe charger all night and his is fine! We could feel the vibrations on my phone so knew it was on but the screen was pitch black. I ended up doing a reset using the volume up, down and holding power button til it reset and came back on. When is this being fixed?? When we get back home, do I need to go to an Apple Store and exchange this phone now?! Ugghhh. So frustrating.

Oct 27, 2023 4:01 AM in response to lachaunia

I got my new iPhone 15pro in sept and this has happened to me at least 4 times… always while I’m charging! Apple needs to fix this issue! I’m really frustrated! 😞

quick fix- tap volume up, tap volume down, then press and hold right side button until you see apple logo! Or if you can manage to unlock your phone Siri will restart it for you! Hope this helps and apple can fix this mess!

Oct 23, 2023 11:45 PM in response to lachaunia

IT CALLED 911 AND I COULDN’T DO ANYTHING

I was sleeping and woke up to check the time at 2am and the screen was black. Every key and sequence I pressed worked was responsive, even Siri. I pressed the lock button too many times and it called 911 and blasted SOS to all my emergency contacts and I COULDN’T HANG UP or cancel it. The operator was very upset with me and said I could be charged. I could do nothing but ask her to disconnect the call because my iPhone malfunctioned. After googling how to restart the phone, I had to calm down all my family and friends from the SOS message.

This is HORRIBLE. Imagine I had an emergency where I needed the screen to call a family member or look up my location to give to a 911 operator.

For a company super focused on emergency features this glitch is a huge problem and law suit waiting to happen.

iOS: 17.0.3

Model: iPhone 15 Pro

Oct 21, 2023 12:27 AM in response to lachaunia

This is so annoying…I just got my IPhone 15 Pro Max maybe 4-5ish days ago definitely not even a week ago and this has happened for the first time tonight…I am nervous that it will happen again. Should I take it in?! I don’t want to be stuck with a faulty phone. It’s working now after being taken off of the charger. If this happens again I’ll be taking it in. So annoying being that this a is a brand new phone.

Oct 17, 2023 5:21 PM in response to lachaunia

I have exactly the same issue and I can provide more info about the after my experiment.

1. This issue happens when using MagSafe dock to charge and when the phone is VERTICAL. It will be fine if the phone is set horizontally with the night clock display feature.
  2. the black screen is not dead. The phone is actually working but only screen not light on.
  3. it will automatically recover after around 3 minutes since you take the phone from charger.
  4. this issue seems only happened for 15 pro / pro max. As my wife’s iPhone 15 never has this issue.

Dec 6, 2023 5:36 PM in response to lachaunia

The same issue occurred in my 15 pro max. (ios 17.1.2) But this happened on a normal 20 Watt apple charging dock and not on a MagSafe charger. So its not a hardware issue but rather a software. I remember checking my phone at 94%. A short while after i heard a vibration and when i checked the phone it had a black screen. I guess it happened when it hit 100% or after 15 minutes of screen off (in standby mode). My battery settings had “optimized battery charging” turned ON. It is a major software bug. Apple has to fix this soon !!!!

Oct 16, 2023 11:53 AM in response to lachaunia

Hello, thank you for responding. The phone is charged on a wireless charger. The entire screen would go pitch black and nothing on the desktop is visible. The phone still functions regards to ringing, etc but you cannot see anything. The force restart is how the issue is resolved. What I would like to know is why is it happening. It doesn’t happen to my husband’s IPhone 15 and he charges on a wireless charger also.

i put the charging option on the max of 80% in the settings, charged the phone using the Mega wireless charger before going to bed and it stopped at 80%. The phone didn’t go black last night.

Once again, I would like to know why the screen goes dark and doesn’t respond to returning until a force restart is done. Also will Apple do a software update to fix this issue? There are others out there is has this same issue.

If it happens again I will be taking the phone to the Apple Store. I have had the phone just 2 weeks.

Thank you,

La Chaunia

Oct 16, 2023 8:35 AM in response to lachaunia

Hi lachaunia,

To help resolve this issue with your iPhone becoming unresponsive, try using a different charger. This can tell us if the issue is related to the specific cable you're using with your iPhone 15 while charging overnight.

When your iPhone is unresponsive or if the screen doesn't power on, you can try force restarting. This option is similar to restarting but resolves unresponsiveness. Here are some steps you can take for a frozen device: If your iPhone won't turn on or is frozen

If those steps do not help, we’ll need some additional information to provide more specific support.

• Does your iPhone respond when you take it off the charger?

• If you plug it in during the day, do you ever have the same issue?

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Nov 7, 2023 11:01 PM in response to lachaunia

About 6 am I went to look at my phone and I thought it died during the night. I noticed that I could heard sounds of buttons and just out of curiosity said “hey siri, what is my battery percentage” to which she replied 100%. I unplugged the iPhone and left it for about an hour. Came back and the screen was back on. This happened during a trip to the Greek islands where I actually needed my phone for various things like Uber, maps, safari, email where all of my ticket codes were saved and of course needing to get around. I’m not sure if this is a charger issue but will investigate once at home. This issue still needs to be resolved though as it gave me a panic attack.

Oct 20, 2023 10:14 PM in response to lachaunia

Hi. This just happened to me too for the first time with my 15 pro max. I’ve been using the apple charging cable and plug bought from apple. The phone was fine when I did a quick charge before going out last night but when I woke up the screen was entirely black, but I heard it do a screenshot sound. My other half found the hard reset set up, did that and it’s back on now, but it’s not helpful having to do that. I hope there is an update soon to rectify this issue.

Oct 18, 2023 9:22 AM in response to lachaunia

Same thing happened to my wife's new iPhone 15 Pro which she just set up this past weekend. Brand new phone, all updates applied automatically to new phone when transferring data from her old phone, and utilizing an Apple-branded magsafe charger while charging at night. Her phone wasn't responsive this morning but eventually the screen turned back on after being detached from the charger.

Hopefully a software update is going to resolve this...

Dec 18, 2023 9:21 AM in response to LG8080

I urge you (and others with this issue) to contact Apple Support directly.

Why? I have had an iPhone 15 Pro Max since launch and so have millions of others who have never had this issue, even once, following the same procedures as you.

That means there is something unique to your device (and those of others seeing this issue repeatedly) - configuration, carrier, date of manufacture, etc. - that I don't have the data to see but Apple does.

Contacting them will allow them to collate data and also replace your device if needed.

Contact - Official Apple Support

iPhone 15 Pro Max black screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.