You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Autofill not working on M1 Mac, Ventura

I have been unable to use autofill in Safari on any website requiring name, address, phone, etc. and I cannot get it to work. The little silhouette icon with the dropdown arrow appears in the fields, but clicking on it does nothing, nor does touching the Touch ID button. All the obvious system settings are correct, Touch ID and Password are set up and functional, my personal contact card is filled out, and I'm not using private windows. VPN on or off has no effect, there is no other software installed that is obviously interfering. I've used Onyx to clean up or clean out anything that can be cleaned. I've rebooted and updated. I've searched this issue all over and have found the question asked many times, but no corrective answers.

Does autofill just not work anymore?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Oct 15, 2023 9:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 9:04 AM

Thank you for your reply; I tried to explain in my original post that I was aware of and tried the published Apple Support advice. I also tried what little additional advice that I was able to find elsewhere, which was not much.

To reiterate, autofill has not worked - on websites that it did previously - since updating OS. All of the settings which are recommended by Apple, and intuitive to the generally tech-literate, are set appropriately.

Where I am in my attempt at logical troubleshooting here is that one of the following must be true:

1. There is a setting of which I am unaware, that has not been set correctly.
  2. There is a "bug" in Ventura 13.5.2 or Safari 16.6 that is preventing the proper execution of the Autofill function.
  3. There is a software conflict that is preventing the proper execution of the Autofill function.

There may be other possibilities that do not fit into the above.

I can only assume that I am not the only Apple user who has experienced this issue, which is to say, an issue that manifests itself in spite of the obvious and/or official published procedures to correct it. I hope to find some confirmation to one of the above to at least point me in the right direction, rather than continuing to pursue the shotgun approach; I may not have mentioned that I've also tried the old standard attempts at troubleshooting efforts like, "Clear the cache," "power down and wait for 30 seconds," and "check for updates."

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 17, 2023 9:04 AM in response to J_Johnnyboy

Thank you for your reply; I tried to explain in my original post that I was aware of and tried the published Apple Support advice. I also tried what little additional advice that I was able to find elsewhere, which was not much.

To reiterate, autofill has not worked - on websites that it did previously - since updating OS. All of the settings which are recommended by Apple, and intuitive to the generally tech-literate, are set appropriately.

Where I am in my attempt at logical troubleshooting here is that one of the following must be true:

1. There is a setting of which I am unaware, that has not been set correctly.
  2. There is a "bug" in Ventura 13.5.2 or Safari 16.6 that is preventing the proper execution of the Autofill function.
  3. There is a software conflict that is preventing the proper execution of the Autofill function.

There may be other possibilities that do not fit into the above.

I can only assume that I am not the only Apple user who has experienced this issue, which is to say, an issue that manifests itself in spite of the obvious and/or official published procedures to correct it. I hope to find some confirmation to one of the above to at least point me in the right direction, rather than continuing to pursue the shotgun approach; I may not have mentioned that I've also tried the old standard attempts at troubleshooting efforts like, "Clear the cache," "power down and wait for 30 seconds," and "check for updates."

Oct 16, 2023 11:19 AM in response to Mifunego

Hi Mifunego,

Since you're having difficulty getting AutoFill to work on your Mac, we recommend that you try the steps here: If AutoFill doesn’t work in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

To perform the recommended troubleshooting steps via the link above, complete the steps in the section below.

* In the Safari app  on your Mac, choose Safari > Settings, click AutoFill, then make sure “User names and passwords” is selected.
* Make sure any information you want to autofill is saved in your My Card in Contacts. Safari can fill in only contact information that’s in Contacts. For example, if a form requires your phone number but it isn’t on your contact card, you must fill it in manually.
* Make sure the webpage has fields AutoFill can complete.
* Safari may be unable to tell which fields are for user name and password, credit card number and expiration date, and so forth.
* If your Mac or Apple keyboard has Touch ID, and you want to use Touch ID to fill in user names and passwords or credit card information, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, click Touch ID & Password  in the sidebar, then turn on “Use Touch ID for autofilling passwords” on the right. (You may need to scroll down.) See Touch ID & Passwords settings.
If AutoFill still doesn’t work, the website may not allow it.
To turn AutoFill off, choose Safari > Settings, click AutoFill, then deselect the information you want to enter manually.

We recommend the steps above because they will show you what to do if AutoFill doesn’t work as expected on your Mac.

Please let us know the outcome after giving the above steps a try.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Feb 3, 2024 8:55 AM in response to J_Johnnyboy

I’m having the same issue on the iPhone. It’s not the autofill settings. I get the slide up that asks if I want to autofill. It autofills my user name and then doesn’t fill in the password. When I click in the password field it asks again for autofill the FaceId appears and changes to the check mark - then nothing happens. There is an issue with the platform.

Feb 24, 2024 1:28 PM in response to mike_1819

This worked for me! Actually didn't even need to make a new contact. I just needed to Make This My Card.

On iPhone, you have to long press your name in Contacts > Make This My Card.

On Mac, in the menu Card > Make This My Card

I did it from my phone and iCloud synced the change in seconds and Autofill began to work on Safari on my Mac.

Feb 3, 2024 11:17 AM in response to Mifunego

If all else fails give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Autofill not working on M1 Mac, Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.