You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro M2 Max Heating Issue

Hello Guys, I recently purchased a used MacBook Pro M2 Max. While I'm enjoying the performance, I've noticed a heating issue that's raised some questions.

Here are the details:

Model: MacBook Pro M2 Max

Specifications: 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Operating System: Sonoma 14.0

Charger: 87W USB-C Power Adapter

The problem: Even during what I'd consider light tasks like browsing the internet and watching youtube videos ..., I've observed the following:

Heat Generation: The laptop's keyboard and the back of the device become notably warm/hot, and this seems to happen more often when the charger is plugged in. However, I have also noticed it occurring occasionally when I'm using the battery.

Low CPU Usage: Surprisingly, the CPU usage stays below 20% in most cases, as per Activity Monitor.

Temperature: I've been using the TG Pro app to monitor the CPU temperature, which typically ranges between 40-55°C.

I'd love to know if other MBP M2 Max users have encountered similar heating concerns and how they've managed it. Is this normal behavior for this model, or could there be something I need to address?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 3:39 PM

1 reply

MacBook Pro M2 Max Heating Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.