Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook heating issue

Recently, I have noticed that my MacBook Air gets hot within 5 minutes of being turned on. The heating is limited to a small region above the keyboard. I do not use the MacBook for any heavy task. I rarely watch videos on it but use Safari a lot. This issue, however had never happened until now. I do not use my MacBook for prolonged periods either. Could anybody help me?

MacBook

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 3:18 AM

8 replies

Apr 3, 2020 7:47 AM in response to Lieutenantfarady

I don't see anything that stands out although I am not familiar with "MobileBrServ" app.

Maybe it is just the computer getting older where the heatsink thermal compound is drying out causing the laptop to run a bit hotter than normal. Or maybe one of the browser plugins is causing a problem. Web browsing can heat up a computer since some web pages do run a lot of code on your computer.

Maybe someone else will be able to add something more.

Edit: Maybe you should try creating a new admin user to see if you experience the same issues. If a new user works, then a login item or plugin is likely the cause of the heating issue.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-other-users-on-your-mac-mtusr001/mac

Apr 3, 2020 10:02 AM in response to Lieutenantfarady

Yes, but locating the cause can sometimes be tricky.

Creating a new user account and using Safe Mode are two ways to try and narrow down the location of the issue. If you mainly use Safari, then the Internet Plug-ins are the most likely cause or it could be due to the websites you are visiting.

You can try using Activity Monitor located in the Utilities folder to see if you can identify the process utilizing the CPU the most.

You can also run Disk Utility First Aid on the drive to see if the file system needs any repairs.

MacBook heating issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.