how do i disable the default apple mail app?

I'm using outlook, and have already disabled sync for all my emails in the apple settings. But the mail app still pops up every time i receive a new email. How do i completely disable this app and prevent it from opening?

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 2:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 3:49 AM

Mail is an integral part of the OS and cannot be "disabled" per se.

If your mail is opening, it does so because you have active accounts. Remove the accounts and mail goes dormant. Without accounts there's nothing for mail to do.

If you have a 3rd party apps that invokes mail, that's a problem with the app. Maybe a default setting of some kind.

If that's not happening, try are restart. If that fails try a safe start: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2023 3:49 AM in response to code-al

Mail is an integral part of the OS and cannot be "disabled" per se.

If your mail is opening, it does so because you have active accounts. Remove the accounts and mail goes dormant. Without accounts there's nothing for mail to do.

If you have a 3rd party apps that invokes mail, that's a problem with the app. Maybe a default setting of some kind.

If that's not happening, try are restart. If that fails try a safe start: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

how do i disable the default apple mail app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.