Upgrading from Catalina 10.5.7 Stuck on "finding update"

I recently was told by my credit card company that my browser (Catalina 10.15.7) was no longer supported. When I try to update I am stuck on "finding update".

2017 iMac Retina 4K 21.5"

I'm using 835 GB of 1 TB storage

Is there a reason the next os update does not show up??

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 6:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 7:41 PM

Software Update stuck on "finding updates" with no end in sight it is a known bug.

Several workarounds have been proposed, such as restarting your Mac in "Safe Mode" and checking for updates while in that mode, and / or resetting NVRAM. Try both:

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

There is nothing wrong with your Mac's version of Safari. Your credit card company is Chase Bank and it is their problem to fix. You can update that Mac to Ventura, but I am not certain that will fix it since Ventura might still be reporting a "user agent" that Chase Bank interprets as "not supported". They need to stop doing that. It's dumb.

The workaround for end users who are unable to update their Macs to a newer macOS version is to use a different browser.

Consider Brave:

https://brave.com/

Brave's "user agent" will tell the bank that it is Google Chrome. Of course that is completely wrong, but it will placate the bank so it will no longer complain.

If you don't like Brave, Firefox is a distant second choice:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

No one needs Google.

The bottom line is that there is nothing wrong with your Mac's version of Safari, but that bank is using an outdated, privacy-intrusive, and ill-conceived method of determining browser requirements. If you are so motivated direct their attention to the WWW publication User-Agent Client Hints (courtesy VikingOSX).

In-depth background discussion here: chase wants me to update safari to 16, should I do that? - Apple Community

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2023 7:41 PM in response to amyhjones12

Software Update stuck on "finding updates" with no end in sight it is a known bug.

Several workarounds have been proposed, such as restarting your Mac in "Safe Mode" and checking for updates while in that mode, and / or resetting NVRAM. Try both:

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

There is nothing wrong with your Mac's version of Safari. Your credit card company is Chase Bank and it is their problem to fix. You can update that Mac to Ventura, but I am not certain that will fix it since Ventura might still be reporting a "user agent" that Chase Bank interprets as "not supported". They need to stop doing that. It's dumb.

The workaround for end users who are unable to update their Macs to a newer macOS version is to use a different browser.

Consider Brave:

https://brave.com/

Brave's "user agent" will tell the bank that it is Google Chrome. Of course that is completely wrong, but it will placate the bank so it will no longer complain.

If you don't like Brave, Firefox is a distant second choice:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

No one needs Google.

The bottom line is that there is nothing wrong with your Mac's version of Safari, but that bank is using an outdated, privacy-intrusive, and ill-conceived method of determining browser requirements. If you are so motivated direct their attention to the WWW publication User-Agent Client Hints (courtesy VikingOSX).

In-depth background discussion here: chase wants me to update safari to 16, should I do that? - Apple Community

Oct 21, 2023 2:12 AM in response to amyhjones12

Follow the previous advises - First

Though, I would be carful about " I'm using 835 GB of 1 TB storage " even if not upGrading and even more so if UpGrading

It is generally a good computer practice to alway keep at least 20% to 25% of the Total Drive Capacity’s as Empty Space.

Allowing the computer to drop below these guidelines may eventually, cause unintended consequences.

If upGrading to newer version of macOS >>

Suggest having at least 50 GB of Empty Space on the drive.

It will allow the Full Version ( about 12.xx GB ) to download, expand and then commence to install.

Lack of empty space when upGrading could result in great disappointments or worse still ,failed upgrade

Part 1 of 2

If still having issues >>>

There are factors:

1 - Like poor Wifi connection

2 - Slow wifi connection

3 - Too many other people downloading at the same time and Apple Severs are overloaded

4 - Software on the computer interfering with the download process including AntiVirus Software

Notation: Disabling the AV Software may or may not solve the issue. Removal of the AV Software may increase the chances of the download to perform as expected.

5 - Running behind a VPN which may increase Packet losses or corruption of the download 

6 - If via wifi too many Other devices using the wifi at the same time reducing the Bandwidth to your computer. 

7 - Best Results are via Ethernet Cable to Router

Should you reach macOS 11 Big Sur there is a separate update for Safari to version 16.6.1

Should you reach macOS 12 Monterey or macOS 13 Ventura there is a separate update for Safari 17

Oct 20, 2023 6:30 PM in response to amyhjones12

Apple servers of late have been balking at serving up many macOS upgrade downloads. We don't know why.

But you may not actually have to upgrade the macOS to get your website access back.

If you are having trouble connecting to and using websites with your older version of Safari, try it with a newer third party browser that is still being updated to meet current internet security protocols.

I suggest you take a look at Firefox browser or Brave browser... or even Chrome 🙄.

Download an alternative browser and install it into your Applications folder. Launch and use that when you encounter websites that don't play well with Safari.

Upgrading from Catalina 10.5.7 Stuck on "finding update"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.