iCloud for Windows locking AppleID

Does anyone else have problems with iCloud for windows locking the iCloud account?

Every time my Windows Surface Pro receives a firmware update when I log back in, I am prompted for my iCloud password. The first couple of times I did this my Apple account got logged out and I had to log back in. Upon logging back in I was informed that for security reasons my account has been locked. I proceeded to go through the unlocking of my account and resetting password and didn't make the connection.

Just today i received another firmware update for my computer and hey presto I am locked out again and have to unlock and reset my password.

I then have to re-login all my devices, of which I have a few and this takes a couple of hours which is extremely frustrating.

I have taken this up with support and they do not seem to care, they stated that I needed to fix windows and take it up with Microsoft.

Usually Apple Support are very good, but this last support personnel was argumentative and really obnoxious.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Windows

Posted on Oct 23, 2023 10:45 PM

1 reply

May 11, 2024 7:09 AM in response to jamestasmorris

Hi I’ve had this problem too over the last 2 weeks - iCloud for Windows app sign in , prompted my Apple ID to be locked and the only way to fix it was to use the “recover my Apple ID” from the iforgot.apple.com page. I have previously used “run as administrator” to get round the constant every 30 seconds asking for my Apple ID password to be reentered.

last weekend there was a windows update and surface firmware update and the iCloud app started asking me for my password again. I tried the “run as administrator”, but this time I after I had entered my Apple ID password and signed in, then used my MFA code on my iPhone. I immediately after got a settings message pop-up on my iPhone which said Apple ID verification required. So I proceeded to do this- entered all the information requested, got to the end and got a message that said “unable to verify Apple ID due to server error”. Spent 45 mins on phone to Apple Support, who couldn’t get my Apple ID sign in to work either . My recovery contacts are set up - the code wouldn’t display (error can’t display code) , I also couldn’t get a code from my recovery email. SO BE CAREFUL - I ended up completely locked out for 3 days whilst the recovery process happened.

I’m don’t know why this happened - I know my password, have recovery contacts all set up, but none of it would work.

I have now deleted the iCloud app from my Windows laptop and won’t be using the app again. As can’t be getting locked out and all my recovery methods designed to stop this exact situation not working - so ridiculous.

iCloud for Windows locking AppleID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.