Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Cursor freezing on MacBook Air (M1, 2020) macOS Monterey 12.6.7.

MacBook Air (M1, 2020). macOS Monterey 12.6.7.

When the cursor "works," it's very herky-jerky.

I've restarted the browser; no joy.

I've restarted the Mac; not resolved.

What next?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 7:29 PM

There are a few things to check. Please review this old, obsolete Apple Support document: If your pointer is jumpy when you use a trackpad, Magic Trackpad, or Magic Mouse - Apple Support (Archived).

I do not know the reason that document was removed. The recommendations in it are sound, with the exception of its recommendation to use a Teflon appliqué which always seemed dubious to me. Macs have become a lot thinner recently so if it was a bad idea then, it's a worse idea today. Don't do that.

It also included the recommendation to try "Safe Mode" so if you have not tried that yet, try it: Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support. Using a Mac in that mode is generally unpleasant and the cursor may not react as smoothly it usually does, but you ought to be able to determine if there is a significant difference in "Safe Mode" or not.

Power adapters: I can personally verify third party power adapters can also be a causal factor. Determine if the problem exists only while your portable Mac is connected to a power adapter (genuine Apple or not) and subsides when unplugged. If it does, that would be definitive indication the power adapter and / or its cable may be at fault. Another, even older Apple Support document discusses that possibility: Intel-based Apple Portables: Troubleshooting unresponsive trackpad issues - Apple Support (Archived).

Other factors such as skin chemistry can also cause bizarre problems. It could conceivably be related to the use of hand creams or soaps or even perfume, which that archived Apple Support document described as "oils or lotions". But if you haven't been doing anything different recently then it is not a likely cause.

Let me know what you determine, because the next step would be to contact Apple. For example, pressure on the trackpad from beneath will cause it to behave erratically. The usual cause is a defective battery.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2023 7:29 PM in response to Ronda Wilson

There are a few things to check. Please review this old, obsolete Apple Support document: If your pointer is jumpy when you use a trackpad, Magic Trackpad, or Magic Mouse - Apple Support (Archived).

I do not know the reason that document was removed. The recommendations in it are sound, with the exception of its recommendation to use a Teflon appliqué which always seemed dubious to me. Macs have become a lot thinner recently so if it was a bad idea then, it's a worse idea today. Don't do that.

It also included the recommendation to try "Safe Mode" so if you have not tried that yet, try it: Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support. Using a Mac in that mode is generally unpleasant and the cursor may not react as smoothly it usually does, but you ought to be able to determine if there is a significant difference in "Safe Mode" or not.

Power adapters: I can personally verify third party power adapters can also be a causal factor. Determine if the problem exists only while your portable Mac is connected to a power adapter (genuine Apple or not) and subsides when unplugged. If it does, that would be definitive indication the power adapter and / or its cable may be at fault. Another, even older Apple Support document discusses that possibility: Intel-based Apple Portables: Troubleshooting unresponsive trackpad issues - Apple Support (Archived).

Other factors such as skin chemistry can also cause bizarre problems. It could conceivably be related to the use of hand creams or soaps or even perfume, which that archived Apple Support document described as "oils or lotions". But if you haven't been doing anything different recently then it is not a likely cause.

Let me know what you determine, because the next step would be to contact Apple. For example, pressure on the trackpad from beneath will cause it to behave erratically. The usual cause is a defective battery.

Oct 27, 2023 6:18 AM in response to Ronda Wilson

Glad it's fixed.

When do you QUIT holding the power button?

When do you QUIT holding the Shift key?

Apple likes to be concise, but their Safe Mode instructions could benefit from a few more details addressing those questions.

For future reference the following is the way it's supposed to work, expanded to include those additional details:

1. Start with a Mac powered on in the usual manner, logged into your User Account.
  2. Shut down the Mac using  > Shut Down...
  3. Wait until the Mac actually shuts down. You can confirm it has actually shut down by pressing the Caps Lock key. The Mac will begin to start, but the Caps Lock LED will not illuminate until after the Apple logo appears. If that did not happen then it was not shut down, so you might as well start over at Step 1.
  4. Press and hold the power button / Touch ID button. "Continue holding for startup options..." will appear, followed a second or two later by "Loading startup options...". If that does not happen, you might as well start over from the beginning.
  5. When the "hard disk" and "gear" icons appear, release the power button.
  6. Select (momentarily click) the startup disk. "Continue" will appear beneath it.
  7. Press and hold either Shift key. The "Continue" button legend should change to "Continue in Safe Mode".
  8. Continue holding the Shift key and click that button. You can release the Shift key when the indeterminate progress indicator "spinner" appears.
  9. The usual Login screen will appear, but "Safe Boot" should appear in red at the upper right of the Mac's menu bar.
  10. Log in in the usual manner. Once logged in, it might not be obvious the Mac is in Safe Mode. You can confirm that it is by holding a Control key when clicking  > System Information... > Software. Under System Software Overview, the words Boot Mode: Safe should appear. Get system information for your Mac - Apple Support describes how to open the System Information app.

Ten steps instead of four, but it should be abundantly clear about what you're doing and what you should expect.

Oct 27, 2023 1:39 AM in response to Ronda Wilson

Ronda Wilson wrote:

MacBook Air (M1, 2020). macOS Monterey 12.6.7.

When the cursor "works," it's very herky-jerky.

I've restarted the browser; no joy.

I've restarted the Mac; not resolved.

What next?

Aside from what has already been suggested

There is always the Monterey 12.7.1 update

If nothing else, the machine is current

Keep your Mac up to date

About the security content of macOS Monterey 12.7.1

About the security content of Safari 17.1

Oct 27, 2023 1:12 AM in response to John Galt

Trying to restart in Safe Mode is a pain.

When do you QUIT holding the power button?

When do you QUIT holding the Shift key? Once you click on "Continue in Safe Mode" you would think you could let up the Shift key, but it restarts normally.

I've tried it both ways. Once I did see "Safe Mode" in red on the display, but it went away and restarted normally.

Start up your Mac with Apple silicon in safe mode

On your Mac, choose Apple menu > Shut Down.

Wait for your Mac to shut down completely. A Mac is completely shut down when the screen is black and any lights (including in the Touch Bar) are off.

Press and hold the power button on your Mac until “Loading startup options” appears.

Select a volume.

Press and hold the Shift key, then click Continue in Safe Mode.

Start up your Mac with Apple silicon in safe mode

On your Mac, choose Apple menu > Shut Down.

Wait for your Mac to shut down completely. A Mac is completely shut down when the screen is black and any lights (including in the Touch Bar) are off.

Press and hold the power button on your Mac until “Loading startup options” appears.

Select a volume.

Press and hold the Shift key, then click Continue in Safe Mode.

The computer restarts automatically. When the login window appears, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Normal trackpad action has returned.

Maybe the attempts at Safe Mode have been effective? Or maybe I had used lotion on my hand, although I don't think I had.

Thanks for the help.

Cursor freezing on MacBook Air (M1, 2020) macOS Monterey 12.6.7.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.