Personal Hotspot is greyed out after upgrading to iOS 17!

Personal Hotspot is greyed out after upgrading device (iPhone 14 Pro) to latest iOS 17. I can't enable it, I tried network reset with no success. I check another customer of the same MNO and his iPhone 12 with iOS 17 has the personal hotspot feature available.

I only noticed this after being in a situation where I needed to enable the feature and after discovering it, I must say is disappointing. I don't think a total device reset to factory is an option at this time.

any assistance is greatly appreciated.

PS: I forgot to add that the feature isn't available in Settings --> Cellular --> where it suppose to be. However, if you swipe down and hold down the WiFi icon the Personal Hotspot feature is greyed out...

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 8:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2024 3:35 PM

This happens to me now to after upgrade to iOS 17.4.1. (iPhone11) Optus carrier.

I now lost the hotspot option (greyed out) and cannot turn on/off. I read forums it was carrier option so I swapped out sim between my other android phone (Vodaphone)

the issue remained in Iphone 11. and my android can hotspot on both Optus and Vodaphone simm. Definitely iOS related.

I could not find any way of setting it back. please help

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2024 3:35 PM in response to faith185

This happens to me now to after upgrade to iOS 17.4.1. (iPhone11) Optus carrier.

I now lost the hotspot option (greyed out) and cannot turn on/off. I read forums it was carrier option so I swapped out sim between my other android phone (Vodaphone)

the issue remained in Iphone 11. and my android can hotspot on both Optus and Vodaphone simm. Definitely iOS related.

I could not find any way of setting it back. please help

Apr 1, 2024 11:51 PM in response to bronzelee

This is clearly an iOS defect. I ended up giving up on iOS. In India, no carrier is aware what settings iOS is expecting. Also on the same plan Hotspot works on Android clearly indicating that hotspot works on the carrier (Airtel, Jio) and apple is lying blaming the carriers.

My carrier Airtel told me they provide data quota to the device. What I do with the data is up to me and as this is working on other phones, they are not in control of this. Had this been not in my plan, Android would have stopped working. All above steps do not work.

I ended up buying a galaxy.

Oct 26, 2023 3:24 PM in response to bronzelee

Hi bronzelee,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities. Personal Hotspot is a carrier-provided feature so making sure that it's a part of your current wireless plan may be the best place to start. Additionally, the guidance from If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular) may help further. Start with the following section and check out the rest of the article if unresolved.

"Use these steps first

Try connecting to Personal Hotspot again after each step.

1. Check that Personal Hotspot is turned on in Settings > Personal Hotspot. If you can't find or turn on Personal Hotspot, check that your wireless carrier enabled it and that your wireless plan supports it.
  2. Restart the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot and the other device that needs to connect to Personal Hotspot. 
  3. Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS or iPadOS.
  4. On the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot, go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset, then tap Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.

Use the following steps for more help with Personal Hotspot over Wi-Fi or USB."

Take care.

Apr 2, 2024 12:39 AM in response to sarmili

Personal hotspot is provided by your Cellular Service Provider and not by Apple Inc.

It's not always the iOS update's fault! Many things can cause phone problems. If you tell people you think it's an iOS update, it might make it harder to fix the real issue.

Remember, the right question often leads to the solution!

The Hotspot is a Carrier Specific feature. Contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider), the agency that issued the SIM / eSIM to you.

To activate this feature for the SIM card you are using, it is imperative to reach out to your respective mobile carrier. Contacting your carrier allows you to seamlessly enable the hotspot on your device, ensuring optimal compatibility and performance. Moreover, it is advisable to inquire about any potential limitations associated with using the hotspot feature.

Different carriers may impose specific restrictions or offer varying levels of accessibility, such as data usage caps or speed limitations. Understanding these nuances ensures a smooth and informed experience when utilizing the hotspot functionality on your iPhone. Therefore, for a comprehensive understanding of the capabilities and constraints related to your specific carrier, direct communication with them is highly recommended.

See the Pic below the Hotspot is made available based on the Mobile Data selected and the feature that is enabled by the Carrier

Please see the pic below to make it clearer that Hotspot is enabled by a Carrier on one SIM and not by the other Carrier in the same iPhone (Dual SIM).

Use these steps first

Restart the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot and the other device that needs to connect to Personal Hotspot. Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS. On the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot, go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap Reset Network Settings.

If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi

Also, check the following

1. Network coverage and stability
  2. Data Balance
  3. On your windows (See if WiFi Auto Joins is enabled)
  4. Also, check if you have any stronger WiFi signal around your computer.

Ask the Carrier to change the SIM if nothing works.

Personal Hotspot is greyed out after upgrading to iOS 17!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.