HP Officejet Pro 8720 Shows offline when clearly online

Can not print from this printer unless I unplug it and restart. Running up to date Sonoma; just updated the drivers via Apple. The HP Smart app shows the printer online and available yet when you try to print, Apple/HP's print Center says the printer is offline. I'm connecting via a usb cable so no wifi involved. I hate HP!!!!!

Posted on Oct 27, 2023 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2023 12:59 PM

A few more things, you can try, before "launching" your printer to the nether regions of space.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2023 12:59 PM in response to ptcolombo911

A few more things, you can try, before "launching" your printer to the nether regions of space.

Oct 27, 2023 11:30 AM in response to ptcolombo911

Hi,

An HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 is listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support. This means that the model in question should be compatible with macOS 14 Sonoma without the need for an additional driver, provided that the printer and the Mac computer are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router).

Do not use USB if you want to try AirPrint.

AirPrint works with wireless (Wi-Fi) or wired (Ethernet) network connections, so you could choose to wire this printer model to one of the LAN ports of the Wi-Fi router instead. An Ethernet connection may be more stable, and would avoid some of the difficulties related to the use of Wi-Fi.

If necessary, if there is a problem with AirPrint, try a full power-cycle sequence (including the router):

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the HP printer, the Mac, and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the HP printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the Mac. Finally, power on all other devices/computers.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05050200.pdf#xref_airprint

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Oct 27, 2023 11:24 AM in response to ptcolombo911

I suggest starting with this article: Solve printing problems on Mac - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, the next step would be to visit the HP support site to verify that you have the latest printer driver for this particular printer which is compatible with macOS Sonoma. Note that Apple does not provide these drivers, but only incorporates those that are provided to them by the printer manufacturers.

Should that still not help, I suggest that you perform a "factory default" reset on this printer. You may have to review your printer owner's guide for how to perform this reset.

Oct 27, 2023 11:58 AM in response to ptcolombo911

With USB, the printer would require (reliable) drivers from the manufacturer. If this is a problem, you may want to at least try the driverless AirPrint technology instead. You do not have to connect wirelessly, but a router/switch would be used. As I indicated above, the connection printer to router could be through Ethernet cable. You could choose to connect the Mac mini through Ethernet or wirelessly. If you so wish, almost any old/spare router could be used for this printing only test/setup, and it could be placed next to the printer and Mac.

HP Officejet Pro 8720 Shows offline when clearly online

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.