iPhone 14 Pro slow after iOS 17.1 update

After installing the iOS 17.1 update, my whole environment is slower, especially browsing. Doesn’t matter if it’s Safari or Chrome. Delays, poor web performance, slow transitions between page updates…

as I use other apps, I see the lag.

Anyone else and if so, is there a good solution. I have messed with background refresh’s and motion settings but didn’t do anythIng.

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 29, 2023 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2023 4:50 PM

I’ve experienced ridiculous lag and performance issues since updating to 17.1. Have had to restart the phone multiple times because it gets frozen on a certain apple won’t open any apps. Need an update to fix immediately.

49 replies

Nov 8, 2023 7:54 PM in response to switchback

I have an iPhone 14 Pro, original owner to the phone (no replacements). It’s on 17.1 right now, and I checked just now to see that there is a 17.1.1 available. I’m hoping this fixes the lag issues. I’m currently in a medium sized U.S. city with full 5G signal. Speed test is showing 90+ down and 25+ up, more than enough to stream simple videos, but getting repeated buffering. Restarted, cleared cache, all apps/tabs closed etc. Was experiencing Bluetooth and Apple CarPlay connectivity issues with my car earlier while driving. Also noticing that brightness and volume settings do not stay where you put them, even if you turn off automatic options (I dragged down the control panel and pulled my volume down to 0, and it immediately went back up unprompted, several times in a row). Very glitchy.

Nov 16, 2023 2:38 AM in response to switchback

I have a 14 pro max original owner! and since the IOS update 17.1.1 my phone has been lagging and I got the Black Death screen and my phone was charged. I called my self phone rang black screen. A fix for the black screen was I pressed and quickly released volume up button then press n released the volume down button then I pressed and held down the side button on the right until Apple logo appeared! It fixed the black screen and my lag times got better I will try out all day to see if this works and I will confirm

Feb 20, 2024 12:31 AM in response to SergioPen

running 17.3.1 and have been getting the same issues on my 14 pro and the wife's 15 pro since the 17 updates last year.

We have to keep restarting our phones as they wont respond.

Also had to turn off continuous text, as it kept changing words in sentences that grammatically speaking, made no sense at all.

you only discovered that the word you saw get entered had changed, after proof reading the entire message.

seems that Apple have done a good job at compromised their own system ! :(

[Edited by Moderator]

Dec 5, 2023 10:45 AM in response to switchback

Hi there.

I found myself on this discussion because I’m being encouraged to upgrade to iOS17 on my iPhone 14Pro. I’m currently still running iOS16 which came with my phone.

I used to work for Apple and saw far too many phones updated just a year later and seeing significant lag issues. I would rather stick with iOS16 then have issues with my 1 year old phone.

Im not sure if Apple has released a new version of iOS17 that appears to not cause issues, but if anyone has any successful news upgrading an iPhone14pro to iOS17 without any loss of speed etc, please let me know.

iPhone 14 Pro slow after iOS 17.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.