Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 17.1 Battery drain

I think any of us here is asking why we all experience such a bad battery drain after iOS 17.1.

i made the update yesterday and had to recharge twice in 4 hours.

it is said that the background activities after update are demanding ones but that’s not the whole truth.

during the night I recharged my iPhone 15 PRO Max and never really reached 100% because of a really poor battery management and process handling by the system.

now trying to turn off the “always on” screen feature see what’s happen.

if anyone at Apple is reading please solve this because the issue is really affecting bad the life of iPhone users…. And it never happened such a bad thing from you so I am quite surprised there’s no way to find a quick solution.

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Nov 1, 2023 12:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2023 12:24 AM

Yes, no matter what Apple’s position is on this one, IOS 17.1 has dramatically affected battery life. I just received an upgrade notice for 17.2. I hope it addresses the problem.

72 replies

Nov 4, 2023 4:55 PM in response to velmaran

I have an iPhone 14 Pro and am noticing the same thing. I have to basically leave it on the charger if I want to use it at all, and it's incredibly frustrating that, with a $1000 device that is less than a year old, Apple's response is "go ahead and disable all of the features that were selling points for this phone and that worked without draining the battery before iOS 17."

I've disabled the always-on display and 5G, and have an automation that turns low power mode back on anytime it turns off. So why shouldn't I just have my iPhone 13 Pro back? Is the only way to get a trillion dollar company to care that we have to file a class-action lawsuit?

Nov 9, 2023 9:58 AM in response to Ricciostar

I’m experiencing this now with iOS 17.1.1, but not on my iPhone…it’s impacting my iPad Pro (12.9-inch, 2nd generation). I used to be able to use my iPad for 2 days on one charge. Since updating to iOS 17.1.1, it drains my battery completely in <6 hours while using it exactly the same. All apps are updated, location services are disabled (minus Find My), Background App Refresh is disabled, brightness is low…the **** is going on with these updates and patches?

Dec 1, 2023 8:13 PM in response to Ricciostar

Even after doing all the recommended things to help with both battery life and battery health I’ve had significant drain on top of the battery health dropping like a rock, significant updates shouldn’t kill out phones like this. I’d understand a small drop considering everything that has to take place in the background after an update but this is ridiculous.

Dec 28, 2023 9:21 PM in response to Dave Montague

Extactly after update to 17.2.1 mine also battery drain faster or daily i charge my phone before sleep after charged i leave it when i check on morning my battery overnight drain more then 17% its so frustrating. I don’t have idea how to uninstall it. Apple is really really doing bad. It’s not good for user. Hope Apple fix this as soon as possible.

Dec 19, 2023 12:14 AM in response to Ricciostar

Adding my own anecdote in support of this issue - it’s real.

iphone se 2020: after update to iOS 17.0 from 16 - battery life halved by about 50% - I have to charge my phone from <10% during the day, which I never had to do before. This kind of thing is dangerous! People need a phone these days, and to have it fail on them mid day in an emergency is serious business.

Followed advice and turned all the background ops off, which helped a bit, but phone still had significantly less life than before the update. Thought I’d need a new battery (health was 83%) so installed a replacement. This ‘fixed’ things for a few days, but now we’re back draining battery at a much faster rate than I’m used to. I’m not a conspiracist, but genuinely feel like this occurrence is specifically engineered to force people into a phone upgrade! No chance Apple - my next will be a Fairphone after this experience.

My wife has the same phone model: iPhone se 2020, bought around the same date. I strongly advised that she stick with 16.0 iOS, but it managed an auto update one night… A week later, and her battery is pouring out usage as mine was, which fully reinforces my own experience.

I updated to 17.2 last night - will

see if this improves things. I’ve captured every update since 17.0, and each has suffered poor battery usage

iOS 17.1 Battery drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.