Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

'Other Devices' using data even when Personal Hotspot is switched off

Since updating to 17.1 my personal hotspot, ‘other devices’ has gone crazy using up data, even when the hotspot is switched off. I always reset the data on the 1st of each month and I’ve used 4.03gb in 3 days with the hotspot off. Password has been changed. Any idea what’s going on? Thanks

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 3, 2023 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2023 4:09 PM

Same problem here. I reset mobile data usage statistics after I realised my 8gb internet was gone very quick in 1 week. Since then I’m not opening any data hungry app like Instagram when I’m outside, and I’m turning my mobile data off when I’m at home. Look what happened in an additional week: 8gb data usage again and 7.2gb is just other devices in personal hotspot. What’s going on? I haven’t turned on my hotspot in the last week and I haven’t seen my top bar green except when I’m having a phone call. So many people are waiting for an explanation and I’m tired of Apple breaking any working functionality with each new iOS version

Similar questions

97 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2023 4:09 PM in response to Grapet117

Same problem here. I reset mobile data usage statistics after I realised my 8gb internet was gone very quick in 1 week. Since then I’m not opening any data hungry app like Instagram when I’m outside, and I’m turning my mobile data off when I’m at home. Look what happened in an additional week: 8gb data usage again and 7.2gb is just other devices in personal hotspot. What’s going on? I haven’t turned on my hotspot in the last week and I haven’t seen my top bar green except when I’m having a phone call. So many people are waiting for an explanation and I’m tired of Apple breaking any working functionality with each new iOS version

Feb 6, 2024 6:22 AM in response to Grapet117

Same problem: After updating my iphone 15 Pro to 17.1 my ‘other devices’’s personal hotspot has started using up data, even when the hotspot is switched off. Apple ID Services taking up too much data. Bluetooth switched off, wi-fi switched off on both iPhone and MacBook, password changed, Turned off mobile data usage for applications (background), Turned on Low Data Mode

I’am waiting for an explanation and support from Apple

Jan 10, 2024 5:59 PM in response to Grapet117

Hi, I’ve noticed the same thing in my phone as well. But when I checked the actual data usage with my network provider it was not anywhere close to the figure showed on the phone. It was much less. So I suggest you all to check your actual data usage through other ways before making any conclusions. I think this will solve many of yours concern because that personal hotspot figures are not at all accurate.

Jan 2, 2024 1:52 AM in response to Grapet117

I got the same issue here…

iPhone 14 Pro with iOS 17.1.2

I am currently trveling in France and my SIM card just didn’t work over here so I bought a local SIM card with a cap of 50GB. Me and my friend are sharing the network and I’m sharing via hotspot.

I’ve noticed the problem early into our trip and they only have used 931MB. I have used about 1.9GB. and we are 5 days into our trip.

This morning, other device was using about 29GB. and since the last half hour, we have been sitting in the train. In that time. The Other devices has gone up to 38.4GB.

My hotspot is off, my wifi and bluetooth is off and I’ve shut down all of my personal devices.

I’ve read that someone called their network provider and they actually used up only 2GB or so and they had a visual bug. But someone else’s provider said that they actually used up the amount that was told in the phone. I’m quite scared since we are on a very tight budget and I don’t want to pay more for that.

If it’s an apple issue, I hope they fix it because I’ve been seeing more and more post about this but they haven’t said anything as usual…

Jan 2, 2024 3:20 AM in response to Grapet117

I just had this happen while traveling in Asia (I’m from Europe) using data eSIMs to each specific country I visited. Got very anxious about it at first due to the insane consumption listed (got to 144 GB over 1.5 week, vs 205MB used by the person I actually used the hotspot for) even though we never had hotspot on unless she was using it (which was quite seldom)

The eSIM app let me keep track of actual usage real-time though, and I could quickly confirm that at least for me the “other devices” consumption somehow is “not really happening”. In total, over the 1.5 weeks we spent approx 8GB which matches the app-listed consumption on my own device plus my friend’s hotspot 205MB usage very well

Still a very misleading bug that Apple should correct ASAP given the insane amounts listed

'Other Devices' using data even when Personal Hotspot is switched off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.