How to mount data drive on MacBook Pro 2012 running macos Catalina

I have a MacBook Pro 2012 with macos Catalina installed and I tried to remount the internal data drive as it was unmounted and I got the could not mount "Macintosh HD ---- Data" (com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49226.) error message. Can anyone help resolve this issue. I don't know what to do. I'm not a MacBook expert.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 4, 2023 9:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2023 6:37 AM

Aha, now I get it.. slaps self upside the head...thanks.

11 replies

Nov 5, 2023 5:43 AM in response to Lincoln158

The volume "Macintosh HD - Data" cannot be mounted on the desktop.

Catalina and newer macOS versions use the APFS drive format which partitions the drive with a container and storage volumes within that container that share the drive space. Two particular volumes "Macintosh HD" and "Macintosh HD - Data" are created and then treated as a volume group and appear to the Finder to be a single volume simply named "Macintosh HD". This volume is what you will see on the desktop.

"Macintosh HD" is a locked, read-only volume that securely contains the components of the macOS.

"Macintosh HD - Data" is the volume that hosts your User account and your personal files. Some areas outside the /Users folder are designated read-only, but for the average consumer user this is not a problem.

Why are you trying to mount the volume "Macintosh HD - Data"?

How to mount data drive on MacBook Pro 2012 running macos Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.