Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Music app not working on iPad / iPadOS 17

When I open the Music app on my iPad most of the time it doesn’t work. It hangs at Listen Now with a loading screen. It doesn’t matter if I change to browse, or go into my library, the app is broken. If it does happen to work it will freeze after playing a few songs. Force closing doesn’t work, and a facto reset didn’t work either. I know my 6th gen iPad is on the older side, but all other apps work fine; it’s just the Music app that does this. Any suggestions?

iPad, iPadOS 17

Posted on Nov 9, 2023 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2023 2:19 PM

UPDATE 12-3-2023: Just an update since so many others are interested. After replying the first time to this thread I've been going back and forth with Apple support on this issue. Eventually they had a sr. advisor call and work with me. They had me screen-record what is happening and also generate and send to them some iPad system logs captured while the issue was occurring. I was told they would send these to a software engineering team to investigate. A few day later (today) I get a callback telling me that Apple acknowledges and is aware of the issue.

Now they are working to track down the root cause (possibly more than one), address the bug, and include in a future iPadOS update as soon as they can. That could be in update 17.1.3 or it could be in a later update, it all depends on how quickly they're able to get to the root, engineer a fix, test the fix.

The one positive here is they seemed to at least acknowledge that there is a bug related to iPadOS 17 combined with the iPad Music app. As noted by someone else on this thread, Music app for other apple device operating systems (iOS, MacOS) doesn't seem to be affected. Fingers crossed for a quick solve. 🙏🏽

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2023 2:19 PM in response to IronMan82

UPDATE 12-3-2023: Just an update since so many others are interested. After replying the first time to this thread I've been going back and forth with Apple support on this issue. Eventually they had a sr. advisor call and work with me. They had me screen-record what is happening and also generate and send to them some iPad system logs captured while the issue was occurring. I was told they would send these to a software engineering team to investigate. A few day later (today) I get a callback telling me that Apple acknowledges and is aware of the issue.

Now they are working to track down the root cause (possibly more than one), address the bug, and include in a future iPadOS update as soon as they can. That could be in update 17.1.3 or it could be in a later update, it all depends on how quickly they're able to get to the root, engineer a fix, test the fix.

The one positive here is they seemed to at least acknowledge that there is a bug related to iPadOS 17 combined with the iPad Music app. As noted by someone else on this thread, Music app for other apple device operating systems (iOS, MacOS) doesn't seem to be affected. Fingers crossed for a quick solve. 🙏🏽

Dec 3, 2023 6:51 AM in response to IronMan82

I am having a near identical issue with my Daughters iPad, which is a 6th gen iPad running iPadOS 17.1.2 using Apple Music with a family plan.

We noticed that after updating to PadOS 17 that Apple Music would stop playing after 2 songs, if a playlist even load at all, see screenshot below with the playlist artwork greyed out.

I've tried so many things to get it to cooperate, including turning off: Sync library, content restrictions, downtime. I’ve also tried restarting multiple times, removing the Apple Music app, signing out and back in to iCloud.

What makes this even more frustrating is that no other device in the family suffers from this problem. To the point that if I sign into my daughter’s account on another device, it works perfectly.

Nov 16, 2023 7:42 AM in response to IronMan82

I'm having the same exact issue, and it's November 16, now. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Music twice. I've cleared the memory in the iPad. I've done a factory reset. I've adjusted every setting in Music, from crossfade to sound check to music quality. Have tried using it both with a wired audio cable and via Bluetooth. Nothing has fixed the issue.

If I'm lucky, I can play one or two songs before it totally craps out again. I just signed up for the Family plan so we could all listen to Music but am reconsidering if I should keep subscribing to Apple Music now. It's fine for my phone, laptop, and CarPlay, but our iPad is the main device we use to stream to our stereo. It's wall-mounted and everything!

Nov 26, 2023 3:04 PM in response to IronMan82

A work around… turn off connect Automatically and Ask in airplay and set it to never. Worked for me but when it stops a hard close on music fixes it again. It’s the auto connect that is hanging it I believe.

This started happening right after 17 and I noticed the pop up for HomePod connecting and everything freezes. Turning that off fixed it at least temporarily for me.

Nov 12, 2023 1:57 PM in response to IronMan82

I have been having the same issue I have deleted the app more than twice. I have reset my iPad (9th generation) back to factory settings more than twice and it does not give me the option to delete the 17 update and it’s still doing the stalling when it plays music or if I search for a song . I’m almost at the point where I want to cancel my Apple Music . I got an update from apple communications the other day when I spoke with apple support and nothing has changed at all.

Music app not working on iPad / iPadOS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.